2014 LR4 Test Drive Review - LR4 1st Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the stock 19" on my 2010, then ordered the 20" on my 2013. I will go back to the 19" next time. My decision to go to the 20" was purely cosmetic...I just liked the look of the wheel. The obvious downside is that the lower profile makes it a perfect candidate for curb rash. (kerb rash if you're British).

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aesthetics aside, anyone putting 20s on these trucks are just crippling the offroad abilities of this truck. As pointed out, the difference from 20 to 19 is a noticeable change in comfort just the same as it was swapping out my stock 19s to the 18 inch compos. Driving to work coming off the highway every day I have to drive across a set of camel bars (same as cattle bars) and the difference was instantly noticeable. Much less cabin vibration with a lot more rubber to soak it up.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Order Has Been Placed

Well, made it to the dealership after work yesterday and aligned on some numbers and now have an order placed. :rock:

Specs:
2014 LR4 Fuji/Ebony
HSE LUX
Vision Assist Pkg
Black 19" Pkg
Sat Radio
Heavy Duty Pkg

Once I get more specifics on dates I will give an update. I want to thank everyone for their help with all of the questions. I look forward to getting the truck and hopefully adding to the community.

I will add for anyone that is considering Corris Grey it is an absolutely beautiful color. There was a 2014 RRS with it in the showroom at the dealership and it was very hard for me to stick to my first choice of Fuji with it sitting there.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! Let's keep comparing notes. I have an "intent to order" in place with a dealer now. Both dealers in the area have indicated that the Order Call should be in this week or next. That is when LR opens the flood gates and all the dealerships put in their requests for vehicles. One of the dealers is telling me they could have it in April, the other is saying May. I don't think either of them know for sure.

The fact that we are both going for the Heavy Duty package is forcing us both to order. If I was willing to go without the Heavy Duty I could get a Fuji/Almont Lux in March. And if I wanted Fuji/Black Lux but w/o the Heavy Duty or the Vision Assist I there are 5 of them arriving in Denver next week along with 5 Black/Black Lux. (Go figure.)

Like you (and my salesman) I don't want to "settle" for the "light duty" package. I won't be doing "difficult" off roading but here in Colorado there are going to be some steep climbs up rocky roads and Rock Crawl will definitely help. Plus, if I end up pulling a trailer someday the torque-multipler of the low range may help, especially with an engine that has a less torque than the V8.

And, to be honest, I don't really need it until June as that is when my off roading season would begin.

Right now I have them ordering a Bronze w/ Almond for me. I am holding off (for the moment) on the Black Package. I just don't know if I want to commit to the factory roof rails yet. But I am told that I have a couple of weeks following the order to change those things. Now you have me considering Corris Grey. I just don't know how it would work with an Almond interior. Though a black interior looks really sharp and classy it feels to "dark" inside for me and with all the sun we get here in Colorado I can see the seats always being hot. I think your Fuji White will be awesome - especially with the black package. If it weren't for the case that my last 3 vehicles have been white I would probably go that route. But I'm feeling a need for a change. Did the Corris Grey look "mirror-like"? If so, it may show fingerprints and dirt and water spots. Your white won't have any issue with that - except for mud and dirt (which is a good thing.)

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I have an "Intent to Order" as well then. The way my buddy at the dealership told me was that the next 2 weeks were the ordering window.

He also said that the Land Rover ordering process is very vague and not 100% dependable. If you have ever ordered a BMW that process seems to be spot on as they give you a log-in to be able to monitor the process of your vehicle and everything. With Land Rover they just give general steps of the process - Order Placed, Vehicle Build Started, Vehicle Leaving Plant, Vehicle Leaving Port, Vehicle Arriving at Port, Vehicle On Truck kinda thing. I think I might have missed one but this gives you the vagueness. He also said that the date of delivery is not 100% as they had a customers Evoque get delivered over 2 weeks after the date they were stated.

Yes, the heavy duty package is the reason for ordering as I found the exact vehicle I want with everything but HD and Black Pkg in TN. I find it very interesting how most of these vehicles are ordered by the dealers.

I also find it interesting how few Ebony interiors there are. I will say that I am a little worried about the Ebony making the interior feel small but I just can't bring myself to go with the Arabica/Almond with the black dog and muddy mountain bike gear. I did get the wood interior to try and lighten things up.

I do know white will not show most dirts/road grime/tree scratches as my first JKU was white and even with the "pin stripes" was a 6ft car. So this will be good.

Corris grey had a lot more metallic to it than I thought it would. Had a really deep color with the amount of glitter in it and was very shinny. I think it would make the vehicle "blend in" in a parking lot but it was very pretty and with the metallic black paint of the RRS was beautiful. I have attached a picture to try and add substance.

Attachments

• IMG_3314_Web.jpg
    IMG_3314_Web.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the ordering "process". My salesperson said he had heard there was a shortage of these SCV6 engines and that may be the reason for limited availability in Feb/Mar. Who knows. But I am shooting for a "promise" of April/May so that I have a better chance of getting it in June. ;-)

I can certainly understand the need for an Ebony interior with a black dog. I almost wish I could get black carpeting (floor and back) and Almond seats. When we had our Golden it was the carpeting that would hold all of the shedding hair. And then there is the grease and grung from the bike in the back. (I plan to make a configurable cover for the "truck bed" in the back. Probably pieces of some dark fabric that will fit, with sufficient overlap, the various seat backs and floor and can be attached with velcro.)

I'll ping you when I start to get word on my order. I may change my mind and add the Black Package. I need to make sure I will be OK with the factory rails and I need to be sure it looks good with the Bronze assuming I don't make a color change at the last minute. On the other hand, I don't care for the stock grey door handles - not with Bronze. So that may drive me to the Black Package.

Now I need to take a deep breath and give this a rest for a while. April/May/June is a long way out. I have been obsessing over this for the past couple weeks. ;-)

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I have them ordering a Bronze w/ Almond for me. I am holding off (for the moment) on the Black Package. I just don't know if I want to commit to the factory roof rails yet.

Have you looked to see if this is for real and still available?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-...aca5ac974&item=321222527348&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Per TOPIx it has everything BUT the vision assist (do a quick search here for peoples issues) and has black interior...I'd think there's deal to be had on this if it is still sitting in inventory....

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I have obsessed as well since I started the desire to get back into an SUV and it will be nice to just sit and wait but over time I am sure it will start to **** me.

I will say that my buddy did say he had talked to their LR Rep and the rep did tell him that the factory was ramping down this year with the production of the LR4 and it would be difficult for them to very many of them. This could be based on your details around the limitations of the engine production.

Blade269

Reaction score
LR4 is still on top

Read these threads with interest. I have been a Land Rover owner since 2004, and between my wife and I we've owned every model with the exception of the full sized Range Rover. I just purchased a 2014 LR4 two weeks ago after being out of the model for several years. I had moved to the Range Rover Sport, my wife drives an Evoque. The RRS was a great vehicle but I found that it had some limitations - off road performance was a bit lacking (specifically, ground clearance and approach clearance) and interior room was not adequate (I too like to carry my mountain bike inside, or large Pelican cases from time to time). I did some market research and actually looked outside the Land Rover lineup at Toyota, BMW, Lexus, and even GM/Chevy. I wanted to look objectively for the best full sized SUV. In the end, I was right back to Land Rover and the LR4 for all the reasons I fell in love with the brand so many years ago.

I ended up purchasing a black HSE Lux with the Almond/Arabica interior. I did not opt for the Vision Assist Package. There simply isn't a better serious 4WD SUV on the market than the LR4. After 2 weeks back in one, I am more convinced of that than ever, and love the vehicle. The updates for the 2014 are well engineered and really enhance the vehicle without detracting from the overall strong utility feeling of the vehicle. The LR4 is the only vehicle that seems to be able to successfully stradle the line between a true 4WD utility vehicle and a luxury vehicle. Every other similar vehicle is either more one or the other. The LR4 is the perfect blend. The interior room is incredible, with a very flexible configuration design that gives multiple seat/flat combinations depending on what you need/want to do. And yet, when sitting side by side with just about any other full-sized SUV on the road, the LR4 is actually on the smaller size (exterior dimensions). I won't rehash all of the vehicles' features as there is plenty of print on them. Rather, my overall impression is one of quality, comfort, and utility. Like no other vehicle I have ever driven, the LR4 simply feels and behaves like it can and will do anything I ask of it, from carrying a small sofa to looking great for a black tie event to rock crawling up a horrendous trail. More - it inspires confidence - I know that it will do whatever I ask of it - and will keep me safe and comfortable while I'm doing it. Even to the point of sleeping in the vehicle, which I do from time to time - plenty of room to stretch out while still packing it full of gear to support and outdoor adventure.

Perhaps the thing about the LR4 that makes me "love" it vs. just like it a lot is that unlike most of the vehicles I looked at, the LR4 has a distinct character and personality. I had a Discovery 2 which I also loved, and which served me well for many years. I haven't found another that I have loved (including the LR3) until now. The 2014 LR4 recaptures the Land Rover experience that drew me to the brand. From its unique exterior (which pretty much says "I don't care about aerodynamics, I'm here to get the job done") to an incredibly comfortable and roomy interor, it all just works together. I look forward to every drive in the darned thing, and have already bonded to this great machine. Maybe that's what keeps me coming back to Land Rover.

I have been troubled to hear of production slow down in favor of the Range Rover models, and even rumors of discontinuing the LR line. That would be a real tragedy, in my opinion. While the Range Rover line is very nice, it's being geared and styled more and more for the urban crowd. That's OK - I know that's where a lot of the demand is for. BUT, there is still a need for the unparalleled utility of the LR/Discovery line. I hope that Land Rover stays true to its roots and maintains the LR/Discovery line - without it the Land Rover lineup becomes just another crossover/metro series of urban soccer-Mom vehicles and loses its links with a fine heritage. By all accounts, the LR4 is the best 4WD on the market today, and I'd have to agree with those accounts! For those of you on the forum considering whether or not to jump into an LR4, I would say, don't hesitate - you might not have the chance in the next few years, and it's well worth the money, you'll love this vehicle.

Lastly, concur on the ebony interior - too much lacquer and it's IMPOSSIBLE to maintain. Not practical. Looks great on the showroom but I'd hate to have it as a daily driver and off road working interior.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, made it to the dealership after work yesterday and aligned on some numbers and now have an order placed. :rock:

Specs:
2014 LR4 Fuji/Ebony
HSE LUX
Vision Assist Pkg
Black 19" Pkg
Sat Radio
Heavy Duty Pkg

Once I get more specifics on dates I will give an update. I want to thank everyone for their help with all of the questions. I look forward to getting the truck and hopefully adding to the community.

I will add for anyone that is considering Corris Grey it is an absolutely beautiful color. There was a 2014 RRS with it in the showroom at the dealership and it was very hard for me to stick to my first choice of Fuji with it sitting there.
Congratulations - awesome combination. I can't wait to see photos.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo