2014 Range Rover Sport Final Spy Shot!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Arabica is going to be beautiful. They had a Fuji White w/Arabica (no contrast stitching for some odd reason) and the colour is stunning... even without the contrast. I was saying a few threads back that I didn't want it without the contrast, but seeing it in person, even without, it's really, really nice. You're going to love it for sure.

Yes, it is definitely a nice color combination. I am not sure why the Arabica does not have the white contrast stitching as it does in the LR4. I wonder if that is even an artifact of a black design pack LR4? The photos that I have seen all have the white stitching on the Arabica, unless it is a camera illusion. I will have to ask Umbertob, as I know he has the Arabica in his 2013 Firenze Red with black design pack. With your external color and the nice Lux ebony leather, you could not have chosen a nicer combination. Dealership photos never do a vehicle much justice, so looking forward to a few shots like you did of your LR4 a couple years back - those were great.

Yes, the tailgate is automatic and what a blessing. I usually don't care too much about those things, but it sure makes it a little easier, especially with a kid. My wife will surely love it even more.

I have to agree, it definitely makes things easier with kids, hauling groceries, cargo, etc. I think the LR4 should have at least the top latch be automatic, though I know the 2013 RR has both the bottom and top automatically close at once. I'd just be happy with the top being automatic, but for me, it's not really a big deal. It's just a heavy lift gate and can be tough to close. I can definitely see them doing the auto lift gate for the RRS, as it is all one piece and likely a bit heavy.

You and I have lived in the NON-LUX world and suffered long enough... having Lux anything is really a huge step up and a real treat. Just the smell of that leather, my goodness. When I opened the door of the RRS and sat inside... and smelled that leather, I was hooked... It was like a drug. You're going to have that same experience when your's comes in.

Yes, I can definitely tell the difference when I took a close look at a Lux and then got to drive a Lux LR4 as a loaner. I first drove the Lux when I went to the Land Rover Experience driving school with my dad (Quail Lodge in Carmel) and we both noticed how much more comfortable and supple the leather is in the Lux model - definitely a difference. I think a few Lux owners on here have posted that when they got an HSE loaner they felt like they were sitting on a hard bench - haha! I guess we just got used to it, though to be honest, I still like the HSE leather and probably would have been fine getting it again; however, since I am likely keeping the new one a while, I wanted to get exactly the options I wanted.

The '12 RRS you drove for the day, was that Lux?

Yes, it was. That was the first time I had driven the RRS and really liked the ride and sporty feel. To me, it feels more like a sporty SUV, but definitely not car like as in a crossover. Like I said before, it felt familiar to me, but different. I remember the visibility being good in the RRS, but not as boxy as the LR4 - I had to get used to the roof lines. Still, it was awesome and I remember putting it in my mind as a possible option. Before that, I had very little interest in the RRS.

Okay, as for the HIDs. They're nice. Way better than what we've suffered. Well, me more than you since you upgraded. But are they wow? Yeah, kinda. My wife's Benz has them and I'd say they're comparable. I also need to find a really dark road to really grade them. Just too many street lights around these days. I'm glad I have them though, I'm now in the 21st century. haha

The HID lights were a must for me this time around, even though my aftermarket upgrade was great and basically gave me the HID lights. Still, there was always the legal aspects of them in the back of my mind and the pain in the butt of having to possibly take them out for any warranty work, etc. The visibility difference is pretty amazing.

The MY13 RRS have the Silver Package that you can add on top of the Lux package. It's something like a $4200 dollar value for only $1900.

That is a great deal - you definitely lucked out and were smart by waiting until the end of the model year to get all those options. As you know, I thought about the Vision Assist package for my ordered LR4, but I am pretty firm that I do not want the surround cameras on the vehicle. The adaptive lights and auto high beam features are nice, but not something I really want - just the HID lights were a must, so it works out that they come with the Lux package. That saved money can go toward accessories. :)

The surround camera system is still IMO just something extra and I'll probably never use it, even if I off-road. But we'll see... I'll have to play around with it and see how I can use it in real life.

Since you have it, you might as well play around with it and see if you can ever use it (maybe for parking in the city - though I don't know if you ever do that - hahaha). It may be helpful for off roading, but I am really old fashioned and could not concentrate on the screen - rather I get out and look, etc.

The extended leather is really, really nice.

I agree, the texture is very nice and everything is so soft. I was close to getting the Extended Leather package with my recent order, but I have to admit that I didn't really care for it on the door handles and dash - as far as my OWN vehicle. It's gorgeous in general, but I wanted to keep my current HSE trim material and not go with the Extended Leather. That's just me and I am weird. I took a really close look at an LR4 at Redwood City before I placed my order, just to gauge if I wanted the Extended Leather.

Now, it's much smaller inside compared to the LR4. It's still roomy, very roomy, but not huge. Space is limited and it took a little getting used to.

That was the biggest difference I noticed when I drove the RRS, it is definitely more compact and focused as you describe. I did not dislike that, it was just a change going from the LR4. This is likely the biggest reason why I stuck with the LR4, I need the room and the 7-seat option. While I love the feel of the LR4 seats, the RRS seats are more snug and comfortable in many ways - much better support. The LR4 can sometimes be a bit tiring on longer drives because of the spacious cabin, but I see the RRS as being awesome for longer road trips and overall comfort for the driver. I think you will agree when you get it out on longer trips.

Now, as for the V8. Same engine as you know, but it's got a much deeper growl and the exhaust is superb. Not obnoxious, just nice... rich and deep.

I have to agree - I love that sound. I think you can get that sound on the LR4 if you go with the aftermarket exhaust (MagnaFlow). I seem to remember a post a while back and the sound was pretty cool. They definitely tweaked the engine/exhaust a bit on the RRS and it's quite nice. Have you ever heard the RRS Supercharged - man, that is incredible.

The new RRS w/SC V6 WILL NEVER come close to the V8s we have now. Never! And if '14 LR4 gets the V6... SAD. Seriously. It's not Land Rover's fault... but it's very sad such a masterpiece motor will no longer be.

I totally agree, but I don't think many buyers will care. Even if it's just a few MPG gas savings, people will care more about that than the V8. I think this is especially true for RRS buyers who need to be won over more from other luxury SUV brands. Don't get me wrong, there are die-hard RRS guys out there, but aside from the Evoque, they are folks who are looking across brands.

The mood light is pretty sweet.

I think it looks cool, though for me, it is almost on that edge of being too bling-like - haha! :) I am happy to get it because it adds almost a warm light to the vehicle (sort of like the mood lighting on ****** America - hahaha), so I am looking forward to a change. Just having it there will switch it up for me since I am getting another LR4. I am sure the mood lighting layout is different in the LR4 since it has a more sprawling cabin. It will be interested to see how it looks.

I am glad that your wife was able to do the negotiation and could go eat with your son, that's trust - especially from a car control freak like you (I am the same way). I am not so lucky, my wife does not even want to come to the dealership with me - she likes them, but does not like looking at cars or the buying process. She likes the Land Rover, but she grew up with ONLY American-made giant SUVs and trucks (Suburbans, etc.) and thinks I should stick with American-made. Hehehe.

Well, enjoy the new RRS! Looking forward to seeing photos and sometime soon in person - gotta show you my outgoing LR4 before the new one arrives.

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely a nice color combination. I am not sure why the Arabica does not have the white contrast stitching as it does in the LR4. I wonder if that is even an artifact of a black design pack LR4? The photos that I have seen all have the white stitching on the Arabica, unless it is a camera illusion. I will have to ask Umbertob, as I know he has the Arabica in his 2013 Firenze Red with black design pack.

It's contrast stitching on the Arabica Windsor leather seats of the LR4 Lux, but it's definitely not white stitching. I think it's call nutmeg, to a color blind person like me it looks like a creme color thread, darker than almond, lighter than tan/brown. The extended leather pack however (if you get such an option on the LR4) has no such contrast stitch.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's contrast stitching on the Arabica Windsor leather seats of the LR4 Lux, but it's definitely not white stitching. I think it's call nutmeg, to a color blind person like me it looks like a creme color thread, darker than almond, lighter than tan/brown. The extended leather pack however (if you get such an option on the LR4) has no such contrast stitch.
Thanks, Umbertob!

You can ignore my PM. That's great information. That make sense, as it did not look real white in the photos I saw. So, if you get the Extended Leather package, the stitching in the seats is Arabica colored?

I am just curious, as I did not get the Extended Leather. Thanks!

Regards, David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, only the extended leather pack is not contrast stitched (both leather and stitching on dash, instrument cluster binnacle, doors, are Arabica in color, to match the seats), the Arabica seats themselves are contrast stitched in nutmeg - I think that's the name of the stitching - regardless of whether you get extended leather or not.

I found a couple of stock photos of MY2013's LR4 HSE Lux interiors in Arabica + optional Arabica extended leather. Bear in mind this is a diesel model w/ 8-speed tranny, so there is a rotary dial in place of our "regular" lever shifter on the center console and the TR controls are therefore different as well, but this should give you an idea about the look and finish of Arabica interiors on the 2013 LR4. I believe the 2013 Sport HSE Lux (with perforated Oxford leather) has no contrast stitching on its Arabica seats, even though extended leather is included at no charge - it's an extra-cost option on the 2013 LR4 HSE Lux.

Attachments

• LR_D4_13MY_07_LowRes.jpg
    LR_D4_13MY_07_LowRes.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 27
  • LR_D4_13MY_06_LowRes.jpg
    LR_D4_13MY_06_LowRes.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I built the current RRS sport online and selected the Arabica, it states that it doesn't come with contrast stitching, and I believe, says it will if you upgrade to Autobiography or something. I have no idea why LR would not have the contrast stitching for just this color, and just for the RRS. The LR4 though has the contrast stitching... It's just odd. But even without the contrast stitching, in person, it's just gorgeous!

I'm going to try and get some photos today, I'll break out the equipment and hit the Park. There are a lot of nice spots that give that auto-magazine appeal to just about any car you shoot there.

I'm very happy with the HIDs, wanted them forever. Ever since I got the LR4. As for all the fancy adaptive lighting, that stuff is pointless IMO. Who really cares if the lights turn while you turn. They don't even turn that much. My wife's car is the same way. But people like the idea and think it's needed just because it's marketed to them. I'm glad I have all those fancy things... but as you, just HIDs is fine.

BTW, before I forget, those rims that I thought I fell in love with, in person, they weren't as nice. They look good when the truck is set to entry/low, but once at ride height, they looked kinda small and weird. Also, the iron-cross rims look really nice in person, and will be much easier to clean, than the multi-spoke ones.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, only the extended leather pack is not contrast stitched (both leather and stitching on dash, instrument cluster binnacle, doors, are Arabica in color, to match the seats), the Arabica seats themselves are contrast stitched in nutmeg - I think that's the name of the stitching - regardless of whether you get extended leather or not.

I found a couple of stock photos of MY2013's LR4 HSE Lux interiors in Arabica + optional Arabica extended leather. Bear in mind this is a diesel model w/ 8-speed tranny, so there is a rotary dial in place of our "regular" lever shifter on the center console and the TR controls are therefore different as well, but this should give you an idea about the look and finish of Arabica interiors on the 2013 LR4. I believe the 2013 Sport HSE Lux (with perforated Oxford leather) has no contrast stitching on its Arabica seats, even though extended leather is included at no charge - it's an extra-cost option on the 2013 LR4 HSE Lux.

Yeah, that's correct about the extended leather portions, that the stitching is not contrast. But even if you don't get the extended leather, the dash still doesn't have contrast stitching. I'm not sure though, if the non-Lux on the RRS is also vinyl... but it notes on the build, that extended leather is only the cluster top and door tops... and I guess that's because the dashboard cover is leather.

Also, the non-extended leather dash cover on the LR4 is vinyl, it's not real leather. Although it feels like it and its the best vinyl I've ever felt. I thought it was real at first.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Umbertob!

I love the Arabica seats with the nutmeg stitching - looks really nice. I appreciate you explaining everything as it now makes sense. I did not order the Extended Leather option on my 2013 - I would prefer to keep it vinyl as I have now. Just having the Windsor Arabica Leather will be a nice treat!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't Wait to See Photos!

I'm going to try and get some photos today, I'll break out the equipment and hit the Park. There are a lot of nice spots that give that auto-magazine appeal to just about any car you shoot there.

I am very excited to see the photos, as I remember your LR4 photo shoot was stunning - absolutely amazing photos. I recall it looking like a dealer brochure! Be sure to get some shots of the inside as well.

I'm very happy with the HIDs, wanted them forever. Ever since I got the LR4. As for all the fancy adaptive lighting, that stuff is pointless IMO. Who really cares if the lights turn while you turn. They don't even turn that much. My wife's car is the same way. But people like the idea and think it's needed just because it's marketed to them. I'm glad I have all those fancy things... but as you, just HIDs is fine.

The RRS that I drove had the adaptive headlights and I really didn't notice them moving much at all, but I don't think they move but a slight amount right and left. I had them in my old Mercedes ML and I never actually noticed them move too much. If the Lux came with them, then that would be fine, as they do increase visibility slightly. To me, that's just something else that can mess up and I would rather just have the HIDs. If the Vision Assist package did not include the cameras, then I would have gone with it, but I absolutely do not want the cameras. I honestly don't know how you went without them for so long with your LR4 - haha! :) I never quite could get you to upgrade to the DDMs. Now that I think of it, I will need to remove mine before I turn in my LR4 in a couple months. I do have an unopened set that I will offer to someone on the forum (I bought a spare set). I can't complain about the DDM kit, it was like $40.00 and has lasted two years and they work awesome. I am just happy to be getting stock HIDs.

BTW, before I forget, those rims that I thought I fell in love with, in person, they weren't as nice. They look good when the truck is set to entry/low, but once at ride height, they looked kinda small and weird. Also, the iron-cross rims look really nice in person, and will be much easier to clean, than the multi-spoke ones.

It's funny how wheels can look very different in photos, in person, and then when the truck is at various heights. I actually do not like the 2013 LR4 19" wheels. I am just so happy that the Black Design package gives me the 7-spoke split rims like I have now, just in black. I would not want the new rims, so that was another reason I went with the Black Design package - beside the fact that I love black trim.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's correct about the extended leather portions, that the stitching is not contrast. But even if you don't get the extended leather, the dash still doesn't have contrast stitching. I'm not sure though, if the non-Lux on the RRS is also vinyl... but it notes on the build, that extended leather is only the cluster top and door tops... and I guess that's because the dashboard cover is leather.

Also, the non-extended leather dash cover on the LR4 is vinyl, it's not real leather. Although it feels like it and its the best vinyl I've ever felt. I thought it was real at first.
I have to agree, I am VERY impressed with the vinyl used on the dashboard of the LR4. I like the look and feel (and durability), so I wanted to stick with that on my ordered LR4.

I actually wish the center console cargo box top lid was not leather topped in the Lux, as I would prefer that to be vinyl like with the HSE. At first I was a little up in the air about the center console cooler box (turns on and off), but I think it's a cool feature that I will use to keep drinks/snacks cold when I go off-roading.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, I am VERY impressed with the vinyl used on the dashboard of the LR4. I like the look and feel (and durability), so I wanted to stick with that on my ordered LR4.

I actually wish the center console cargo box top lid was not leather topped in the Lux, as I would prefer that to be vinyl like with the HSE. At first I was a little up in the air about the center console cooler box (turns on and off), but I think it's a cool feature that I will use to keep drinks/snacks cold when I go off-roading.

-David

:) My only concern about all the leather, on top of everything, is when the first person, or my Son, scratches it. It will happen, it's just a matter of when! haha... but so bound to happen. The leather on the center console area is prone to some sort of accident as well. Agree, the vinyl is rock solid and can see why you want it. I'm going to have to be careful with this car, at least until I get over the newness.

I was going and try to take some pics today but will need to wait until next weekend. We woke up exhausted still and had to run some errands... and my Son for some reason, who is just a few weeks away from 4-years-old, has turned into a completely new child... full of more energy than I can handle right now. haha... he just goes on and on and on. Amazing how they change so quickly. Thank you kindly too for the kind words on the photos. :)

If you ever get a chance please check out my web site. I mostly shoot B&W photography... street work.

www.stephenlaszlo.com

When I was talking to Eric yesterday he said they're going to do everything in their power to get your parts transferred. Your LR4 has left a great impression on those guys. Again, will totally need to see it before she's goes. I should also have a free weekend coming up after next weekend... my Wife's B-day is next.

As for your HID mods... I can't believe those lasted so long. Really worth the price for sure. I need to sell my light guards and original rims/tires. I was going to swap them out and trade them back in, but the tires were dead and I didn't want to deal with them needing to charge me 1200 plus for new tires... when that's pretty much what I paid for the new rims and tires. So figured just let them go. I may paint the old ones and put on some mean snow tires - for the RRS camping/or snow trips. They should fit the Sport.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo