2015 LR4 Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also had that same error code appearing randomly. FWIW, I did get the software update from Land Rover and it went away for a couple of weeks and then randomly returned again. It's since disappeared, but the fix doesn't appear to be conclusive - I definitely wouldn't be paying for it.

iT0ny3

Reaction score
I had a similar issue. It turned out to be the Gas Cap Seal. Remove the gas cap and use any type of petroleum based lubricant or seal lubricant. Rub it around the rubber seal in the gas cap. Also make sure that the gas cap filler nozzle top is clean. I scrubbed mine with heavy duty paper towel to make sure nothing went down the nozzle. It will take a few miles of driving for the light to go off. I have heard 150 Miles, but mine went off in under 5 miles and has not come back on. Good luck!

Cruiser

Reaction score
I had the same on my '11 LR4. If you "top off" when you fill up at the pumps, stop doing that. I stop the first time the pump kicks off, and haven't had any problems since.
Give it a try.

RoverRover01

Reaction score
This type CPO thing for me, activates a circuit in my head that demands I become loud but very matter of fact with the dealer — Remaining calm and speaking with purpose, go to dealership Service Manger, and General Manager with attitude, make your case, and in doing so, address any negatives you think they’ll come back with - Nip those before they can present them....demand to talk with the factory rep, and don’t take no for an answer. If they dig their heels in, remind them the power of social media! My opinion....

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
Have a 2015 LR4 Check Engine Light that just started going on & off randomly. (Currently OFF but dealership says they can see Error Code History of it).

The dealership says there are no physical issues whatsoever with engine with pumps etc.

The vehicle is still under CPO and they said a not covered $245 software update which includes diagnostic fee should fix it. Any experience with this?

A software update seems like an improbable fix. Concerned larger issue at stake or false indicator. Why a random software update now, no changes have been made to the vehicle whatsoever and it is in pristine condition w/all maintenance up to date and no damages what so ever. Just was in for service recently and no issue came up.

Thanks
Check your engine management relay situated in the engine fuse box. My light kept coming on and off to start with then one day engine management light came on and cut engine out. Tried starting and nothing happened. When I opened the engine fuse box the engine management relay had come out of the relay contact. Luckily I always carry one of each relays just in case one should fail. Put the new one in and engine started and no engine management light has come on since. Took the relay to a company that tests relays and they found two of the contacts were badly burnt and the relay showed it was faulty. Done nearly 12000 miles since then with no problems.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2015 LR4 I have had this fault once under warranty and then again just about 10 weeks ago. While under warranty they replaced the high and low pressure fuel sensors and I am not sure what else. They never sent me the work performed information. This last time after clearing the fault multiple times I took it to my local Indy shop who said they had the same software as the dealer to diagnose the fault. It showed that it was 100% the high pressure fuel sensor so they changed it. The fault returned and then they changed the low presser fuel sensor. After reloading some of the programs the fault stayed away for about 3 weeks. I cleared it myself and tightened the fuel cap. It returned shortly after I bought gas again so I cleared it and tightened the cap again. That was about 3 fill ups ago and it hasn't returned. Before I went to the Indy shop I put grease on the fuel cap seal cleared the fault but it returned right away.
To replace the high pressure fuel sensor first remove the no. 1 fuse for the low pressure fuel pump and start the engine. This will remove the high pressure fuel. Next remove the main battery passenger side and the battery box. The sensor is right there and easy to change. The low pressure fuel sensor is under a heat shield on the right side of the transmission. As far as what you may have to do to any programs I really don't know. I don't have a Gap II tool. I don't know if that would allow you to make the necessary changes. I have written them several e-mails asking if it would help and never received a reply. The high pressure fuel pumps are on the right side of the engine just above the oil pan in the front of the engine. The low pressure pump is in the gas tank. You need to remove the tank to get to that.

Meh9230

Reaction score
I also own '15 LR4, same issue with check engine light illuminating. I originally took to independent repair shop that was going to charge me $1600 to replace fuel pump sensor. Took to dealership due to CPO warranty. 5hey updated software and there were mo charges. But...the dealership said I need new front brake pads and rotars for a cost of $1100. Do I have to get from dealership?

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not get your brakes done at the dealer, they aren't covered by your warranty anyway so it doesn't matter where you get them done.

I also have some issues right after fueling. I like to top off and am no longer going to do that anymore. Bought a new gas cap, but didn't oil it. Every once and a while after fueling, the car will start hard and you need to give it some gas to get it running. It's odd though, the problem doesn't occur any other times. Hopefully not topping off the tank solves the issue.

The code was P0442 which is Evaporative Emission System Leak (small leak)

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not get your brakes done at the dealer, they aren't covered by your warranty anyway so it doesn't matter where you get them done.

Agreed.

But also don't get them done at Midas or whatever quick brake joint you can find. I'd go to a independent mechanic. If they let you provide your own parts, even better, because you can be sure the best parts are being used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV