2015 LR4 Lux w HD - 91k Mile Gut Check - Keep or Sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cannondale900

Reaction score
It is time to find a newer vehicle for my wife. In considering our next move, we have to get rid of at least one vehicle and I'm trying to decide whether or not the LR4 is one of those vehicles to get rid of. I would like to find a way to keep our LR4 for my daily use, 7 pax capacity, and some off-roading/overlanding (I already have a decent bit of kit for overlanding and car camping); however, I do not want to keep the LR4 if a major expense or known issue is on the horizon.

I have a high tolerance for pain when it comes to cars. I have worked on BMWs for 20 years and have plenty of tools and a lift in my garage. I have just enough time and financial resources to performance maintenance and reasonable repair work as needed (read: I don't put anything off). I'm more than happy to replace the occasional crossover pipe, water pump, trans fluid flushes, diff fluid changes, s/c coupling and oil, air suspension components, aux battery, tailgate actuators, belts, tensioner pulleys, and fluids.............all of the foregoing are reasonably priced parts and I can do most of that work myself.

Are there any major issues with the SCV6 or the rest of the drivetrain that I'm not thinking about? Any major electrical issues?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are just asking this now lol? The wife/daughter fight over the 2010 LR4 all the time. Roll the dice.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t really heard of many issues aside from what you’ve mentioned. There are definitely some electrical issues that pop up - brake switch, ****-shifter problems - but we’ve also seen DIY solutions to those issues posted. Also a lot of electrical problems attributed to the sunroof drains flooding the passenger compartment, but you can steer clear of that problem.

What I like about the car is that there are resources available to help you repair it - GAP IID tool, the many forums, and even the subscription-based topix when you need it is not so terribly priced. Compare that to my wifes 2017 volvo - completely sucks. Volvo’s VIDA subscription is 3x the price and youneed to download special software running on a windows computer to view anything - even then, lots of complaints and very little info on forums from DIY community.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given your tolerance, resources and apparent commitment, I'd say keep it...particularly if your daily use doesn't involve a ton of miles. The combo of utility, comfort and capability (LUX w HD) is hard to duplicate even for big bucks...but you know that. Seems like a fairly complete list of maladies, but maybe 'timing chain'...is that also an issue for the SCV6? (asks one w a '16). I've heard wives like new Defenders?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV