2016 L405 TDV6 Issue Diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farrancampbell

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Im new to the Forum, and I have an issue. It took me a long time to write down all of these codes so please be kind. I have a 2016 Range Rover HSE TDV6 here in the shop (Its actually Mine, I got it from the customer who had it parked for over a year. I am a mechanic) I can’t seem to figure out what is going on with this and would like to get some ideas from some other people. The car went to a Land Rover certified dealership and they pretty much blew me off. They told me that the engine is toast, but they didn’t do any investigation as to where the problem was they said “Customer complains of zero compression and upon visual inspection, oil level is low and there is a lot of sludge in the engine – Recommend replacing engine”. The Truck starts, after about 5 minutes it begins to idle really rough and there is No compression and the car will not move. The tachometer will not rev. I did a compression check on the engine and the car has an average of 330psi on all cylinders give or take 10%. I changed the oil twice, the first time doing a complete flush, to see if it is a sludge build up. I am thinking its something with the high pressure fuel pump, (Being that its on a timing chain connected to a crank, Im thinking the chain may have jumped a tooth) but that is in the back of the engine, and getting to that is arduous to say the least. So before I try the method in checking that I thought I might come here and get some insight.

I ran a scan with my Snap-On scan tool, and it came back with 26 codes. I cleared them and they came right back. Here are the codes:

• P506-00 – Idle Air Control System – RPM Lower than Expected
  • P06DA-13- Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit/ Open
  • P0AF-97 – Engine Failed to Start
  • P0405-16 – Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A – Circuit Low
  • P0263-92 – Cylinder 1 Contribution/ Balance
  • P0272-92 – Cylinder 4 Contribution/ Balance
  • P0266-92 – Cylinder 2 Contribution/ Balance
  • P0275-92 – Cylinder 5 Contribution/ Balance
  • P0269-00 – Cylinder 3 Contribution/ Balance
  • P0278-00 – Cylinder 6 Contribution/ Balance
  • P054F-00 – Idle Air Control System – Fuel Quantity Higher than Expected
  • P0102-16 – Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
  • P0403-13 – Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit
  • P0113-7 – Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 – Circuit High Input
  • U029D-87 – Lost Communication with NoX sensor A
  • U029E- 87 - Lost Communication with NoX sensor B
  • P0030-29 – Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Sensor Control Circuit (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
  • U0106-87 – Lost Communication with Glow Plug Control Module
  • U019c-87 - Lost Communication with Glow Plug Control Module 2
  • P240f-85 – Exhaust Gas Recirculation Slow Response
  • P240f-84 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Slow Response
  • P0301-00 – Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
  • P0302-00- Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
  • P0303-00- Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
  • P0300-00- Random / Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
  • P05ED-16 – Diesel Exhaust Fluid Heater Control Unit Supply Voltage
  • P06F9-16 – Glow Plug Control Module 2 – System Voltage

Now the truck had a dead battery, so I know a lot of these codes are a result of the dead battery. There is a drain on the battery.

Also another thing worth noting is I was driving the car, and the car just abruptly stopped, and all of these issues came about which gives me the inclination that its a piece that gave out as opposed to a lingering issue (Like Oil pump).

Thank You so much for helping me figure this puzzle out

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like lack of maintenance on this one.
The fuel pump is driven by a belt on the back of the engine. It is not really "timed" as it is electronically controlled.

How many miles on the vehicle?

Keith Hollis

Reaction score
Sounds like another good Rover fell victim to the Government and manufacturer's idea of extended maintenance intervals.

You did not mention miles on odometer that I can see. Divide by 10. Subtract 1 or 2 from there, and figure that's the maximum number of oil changes performed to date. Smart.

Not a pretty picture.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut