205,000 miles and about to service transmission question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that old school thinking isn't right anymore on the new stuff. under normal driving, the ZF fluid can go 75k (according to ZF) before you change it. OEMs say 100-125k. So, double ZF's number and you get 150. Transmissions and fluids have come a long way.

It was a bigger deal with transmissions were shifted solely on hydraulic pressure, now that doesn't matter as much as its all electronically controlled. Also, D/M II and III went to **** after like 50k miles, and if the fluid ever got hot, it was worthless. Another reason (IMO) for 4L60 failures... old ass fluid, gets a little hot and it turns to water and you've got 4 neutrals.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that a poorly-done service on an older transmission might loosen up some crud and deposit it in places where it might not have ended up had it been left alone. But IDK. And IDK whether that still equates to a "never flush an old transmission" or not. Seems likely that plenty of old transmissions have failed from neglect, too. You need that data as well to have a real weighting of the risks.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that a poorly-done service on an older transmission might loosen up some crud and deposit it in places where it might not have ended up had it been left alone. But IDK. And IDK whether that still equates to a "never flush an old transmission" or not. Seems likely that plenty of old transmissions have failed from neglect, too. You need that data as well to have a real weighting of the risks.
Agreed. And flush =/ drain and refill. Which is what most of us are doing anyway.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gosh I feel like I've read this same thread on dozens of forums over 20 years.
It's like red or black at roulette with the slush boxes: are you feeling lucky?
I guess only time will tell with mine at 100k.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that old school thinking isn't right anymore on the new stuff. under normal driving, the ZF fluid can go 75k (according to ZF) before you change it. OEMs say 100-125k. So, double ZF's number and you get 150. Transmissions and fluids have come a long way.

It was a bigger deal with transmissions were shifted solely on hydraulic pressure, now that doesn't matter as much as its all electronically controlled. Also, D/M II and III went to **** after like 50k miles, and if the fluid ever got hot, it was worthless. Another reason (IMO) for 4L60 failures... old ass fluid, gets a little hot and it turns to water and you've got 4 neutrals.
I agree, fluid tech has progressed just as much as transmission tech; that’s why I wanted to preface what time frame that came from.

I’ve always been from the camp of following recommended service schedules from either the car manufacturer or component maker; that’s why I did mine at the ZF mileage.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a good article from FCP Euro on the ZF 8’s
I would die to have the ZF8 in my 2013. I had it in other high power vehicles and it is the best slush box. The 6 is a sluggish pig in comparison.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could the ZF 8HP from a 2014+ be swapped into a an earlier LR4 that came from the factory with a 6HP?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV