4X4 L and 4X4 H question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

siambxr

okay so how much lock does occur when you go on 4X4 L or 4X4 H , what I mean is is there a certain percent of slippage from the left to right tire or does it go full lock? :confused:

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will never get full lock without some sort of Center, Front, or Rear Locker.

As for the percentage of lock, I think this all depends on which vehicle you are referring to (since the stock LR 4x4 system has changed over the years). Calling it a percentage may be misleading though, since a limited slip is still not really a lock.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, Troy is right there is no locking at all when you going L/H.

However if you talking about L/H + locked CDL - there is about 50/50 split front/rear. H/L doesnt refer to locking itself, its just what kind of gearing your t-case will run for you. L is usually used when you need more traction than usual or, on some rare occasions, is when its too stip of ascend/descend, so you wont have to put pedal to metal to get more torque.

Oh and to my recollection some of those RangeRovers got viscous coupling instead of central lock.. Or may be i am mistakening it for something. Havent ride in one for ages, and certainly not owning one.

S

siambxr

opps forgot the type of Rover it's an 88 Classic. I guess it's time to do some reading on some lockers to make the left and right tire spin at the same rate. ehh this hobby is starting to cost :proud:

Last edited by a moderator:

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are quite a few different lockers out there to choose from too (these are for front or rear lockers, not center [CDL]): ARB, Detroit, TrueTrac, etc...

D

discomike

Paul,
before you starting spending alot of money on this truck, you might want to look at what you want out of the truck, will it give it to you know and how experienced a 4wheeler you are.
Take your time, do some short runs with a few other Rover people and get more acquainted with your truck.
Mike J.

S

siambxr

Thanks Mike, before I blow a *** of $$$ that I can save. I guess off roading if just a once a month type off hobby for me and I can just save the money. Besides the Rover seems to be doing great for what i'm doing ( not too radical offroading and some not so deep mud ) just some mild black diamonds no doubles or triples :biggrin:

tmiller1 , if i do go with lockers seems as if the trutrac is the way to go.. thanks for the input Rangies

D

discomike

So Paul,
Where do you live, maybe we can meet up on some trail???
Mike J.

S

siambxr

I'm in Daly City I normally go to Hollister Hills since it's close by and the dirt bike track/ trails. It's not super big off roading place for trucks but fun factor is still up there. I can't wait for the fall or winter season and try some of the hills up north like Downeyville or some trails in the Sierra foothills.

D

discomike

So I am down in Santa Barbara, just down the road from you. Are you going to the 4th. Annual Big Bear run in 2 weeks?
It would be a great way for you to meet lots of Rover people and hit some fun trails.
Mike j.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo