96 HSE Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akareh

Reaction score
Hey,
I just bought this Range Rover a couple of weeks ago, its great, only I got a couple of problems with it that I wonder if anyone has experienced in the past...
1-loud noise from under the hood that sounds almost like a air compressor noise, it seems like its comming from the alternator... any ideas?
2- Rear view mirror has all the liquid on the viewing side of the mirror and so its yellowish for the bottom 3/4th, there is no way to drain that liquid is there?
3- the dashboard is lifted right where the vents go under the windshield, any ideas on how to pin them to place to make it look better?
4- there is a picture of a book and a (!) by the a/c controls, I don't see messages however? anyone know what that is?
5- the check engine light is on, but when I connect it to the autozone obdII tool it reads "no codes"

Any ideas would be very very helpful!
Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The rear view issue is the mirror is going bad, Change this ASAP, otherwise it will leak and ruin anything it touches.

The dashboard, I believe Atlantic British sells a repair kit for this.

Loud noise is probably the fan...

Self diagnostics
The air conditioning system has
the ability to constantly diagnose
itself for faults. If a fault is detected, the
’handbook symbol’ appears in the display.
Contact your dealer for assistance.

the Check engine code may be they Service Engine Soon... i.e. emissions check. Not sure on the RR, but on the Disco this works. http://www.discoweb.org/reset/index.htm

I would also look around www.rangerover.net

ScottinNJ

Reaction score
MagnaDonnelly is the company that manufactured the rearview mirror. There are a number of posts concerning replacement. Contact them, and they will replace the mirror for free!! They are great. Truly committed to customer service. They just sent me a new one last month, and I have a 97 4.6 with 127K. I contacted MD via the website, but the contact person is

Dani Andriacchi
Office of Technology
616-786-5115 (direct dial)
616-786-5185 (fax)

Very nice person. Try it. You'll be surprised.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 cents on the air compressor noise. There is an accumulator pump for the abs/brakes on my '99 that goes off almost all the time. It is near to and connected to the brake fluid reservoir. See if that's it.

Also, my book on the A/C comes and goes, usually when it is hot out. I've never worried about it and it's always worked...

My check engine light was fixed with a new mass airflow sensor. But I'm sure that there are a thousand other reasons for it to be on.

Last edited by a moderator:

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the check engine light, there are manufacturer specific codes that can trigger the check engine light and that cannot be read or reset with the generic OBD II scanning tool. You may have to see the dealer on this one.

akareh

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I already took the mirror off and am trying to get a hold of MagnaDonelly. The compressor noise was from some reason comming from the alternator, I replaced it and the noise is gone.
Thanks again for all the advise.

ScottinNJ

Reaction score
Akareh: How did you get the mirror off? I received my new one from Magna, but I am having a touch time trying to pull if off. I'm concerned about cracking the windshield. Is there a trick?

akareh

Reaction score
Mirror

there is a track that is set on the windshield. What I did was I took the connections and the 2 plastic pieces off and then I pushed the mirror down towards the dash in a parallel motion to the windshield. It wasn't the smoothest track, it took some pressure. there may be a better way but I didn't break anything. I have a picture of the track that I could email to you if you would like.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72