98' disco NEED HELP!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onemind32

Reaction score
I have another problem guys. I Have a 98' land rover discovery LSE and we just replaced the head gaskets on both sides of the engine. Before we did this we installed a new battery and within a night it was not only dead, but it went bad and wouldn't keep charge. once we fixed the head gasket we installed another new battery and the next morning the same thing happened.
Now I'm left with a dead battery and don't know what or where to start looking to fix the problem and keep the battery from further discharging.

Any one have any ideas?
Thanks Alot,
Onemind32
George Kapetanopoulos

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Check for a short or dead ground, or however you want to call it.

Attach good battery to the ground post only
Attach multimeter or trouble light to the positive battery and to the other end to the cable.

You should see power being used.

Start removing/replacing one fuse at a time till the power or light goes out. See what offending fuse runs. Issue found.

scostagl

Reaction score
Hi, just curious as to how long it took you to complete the head gasket job? Did you require any special tools, besides the shop manual or torque wrench? Thanks.

onemind32

Reaction score
besides that not really anything special you will need a breaker wrench/bar. The job took three days, eventhough i was working with my father and neither of us has any experience on land rovers. all in all it was a pain in the ass because of little things that went wrong (i.e. wrenches braking and sockets/bolts stripping) but once we replaced the gaskets on both sides it was all up hill from there.

onemind32

Reaction score
hey joey i did exactley what you said and the only result i had was a slight flicker in the alternator fuse. when i took the fuse off the light dimmed down. i also disconnected the alternator and theat made no difference.

also when i first put the head gasket together and started my car it was running fine (with the exception of it missing as pressed the accelorator) now about a week later it's running horribly. it's overheating and the rpm's are way above normal than what it should be when started ( their at 1750-2000 rpm).
when we first started the car however, after the gasket jojb was finished we had the wrong battery for the car and today when we went to start it up again we had first put in the correct one needed.

do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Thank you greatly for all the awesome previous help,
Onemind32
George Kapetanopoulos

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99