98 Disco Steering Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sunshineking

Reaction score
Hi,
does anybody knows how you adjust the free play in the steering box?
I recently bought a 98 Discovery and noticed there is alot of free play in the steering wheel when I drive.
Even when the car is parked , key out of the ignition and steering wheel locked I can still turn it about 60 degrees..
Any help and sugestions will be appreciated..

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sterring wheel movement

Have you opened the hood to see if it is the sterring box. With the wheel locked it should only turn about 5 degrees. Open the hood and on the right side of the engine see if the sterring rod moves when you move the wheel. If not then it is a colum u-joint or compression joint that is going out not the sterring box. Also check under rover and make sure it is not your drag link. If none of that the adjuster screw is on the front of the power steering box. I would recommend checking everything else first. Normally you don't ever have to adjust the sterring piston that is inside the box.

Last edited:

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What repair manual say's

Symptom :-Steering
Excessive
freeplay at steering wheel.

YES - Suspect worn panhard rod or radius arm
bushes Check condition of ball joints and
the lower steering column shaft universal
joints for wear. See Repair, Lower
Steering Shaft and Universal Joints
Check steering linkage ball joints for wear,
correct alignment and security, including steering
box and tie rod. See Steering Linkage Inspect
Check all front suspension rubbers for wear.
Check all fixing torques, including radius arm
bushes, panhard rod and anti-roll [sway] bar.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sterring issues

Before you adjust sterring box make for sure it is not the other issues listed. If you adjust the sterring box piston you maybe just masking or hiding the real problem. This could cause loss of sterring when you need it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak