'98 Disco won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blipka512

Reaction score
Guys, I could use some help. My 98 discovery(series I) blew the head gasket 7-8 mo's ago. I've had it sitting until recently when I've had time to take the heads out(had them machined and new seals in valves), I put it all back together and now it won't start. I've been searching the forums for some trick, or potentially something I missed when putting it back together and so far haven't found anything. I replaced the battery, oil, fuel, and air filters, new spark plugs, it turns over easily (with no "bad" engine sounds). I've tested the fuel rail and with the fuel pump running I'm getting around 40 PSI, just under 35 after it primes. I believe I'm getting spark as after using a light amount of starter fluid it begins to "catch." I'm not seeing any ODB2 error codes. Any help or advice that you could pass on would be appreciated. Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Give nathan a call in my signature.... He will have an idea for you. I would dig through my archives, but sadly I have to run to work...

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your ect sensor as well - when they go - hard starts/no starts are to be expected; also make certain the correct leads are attached to the ect and the fuel temp sensor (common error is to get these two mixed up as they are so close to one another on the harness

bsa239

Reaction score
98 dr2 wont start

You might want to consider checking the Crank Shaft sensor, had starting problem with my 99 DR2 and this sensor was replaced and start like new.
I paid about $69.00 for the sensor. Insure you install it like the old one otherwise your DR2 wont start.

Just my thoughts

Mike

Dick61

Reaction score
This may sound as though I'm isulting your intelligence, but.......
Did you remove the injectors when you had the heads off?. They may have gummed up with dried out petrol over the time it has been sitting. Pull the injectors out and give them a clean with carb cleaner or injector cleaner. My 96 Disco shows these symptoms when I haven't run it for a while, especially as it has LPG and I don't run it on petrol very often. Your fuel in the tank may have gone off, it only takes a few months for petrol to lose it's potency, try some fresh fuel and see what happens.
Cheers
**** Lang

bsa239

Reaction score
No insult taken, hadn't thought of of what you wrote. Hopefully the orginal poster will read your reply. I will keep your post for future reference.

Mike bsa239

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM