98 RR Tranny/T-CAse-Rear Diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bigtimer24

Hello all,

I have a new problem. My 98 Range Rover Dropped the front shaft somewhere on the freeway doing about 70 mph. Had no idea, thought i hit something on the road. The thud of the shaft was hard and fast. Pulled over and noticed that the shaft snapped at the u-joint section shearing off on each ends where it's bolted to the front diff and the t-case mounts. I managed to drive home since I was only 4 miles away.

I just got my new front shaft to install and now a new problem has developed. I put the truck in reverse to back it up a bit and get this clunking sound coming from the rear. The rear shaft is spinning, but the truck won't move. After moving the wheel blocks, I noticed that the truck started to role while in park on a small decline in my garage. Could it be the T-Case, Rear Diff, Transmission...? I get no faults on the dash. Any ideas on what that might be..?

B

bigtimer24

Update: I installed the front shaft and I no longer get the clunking, grinding sound. I'm still going to check/ drain the rear diff to see if it's silver. Anything else I might be missing...? I'll keep you all posted.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the center diff or in your case the viscous coupling may not have liked running without a front driveshaft.

B

bigtimer24

Where is the viscous coupling located..? Is this something you recommend me replacing..? If so, how hard would it be to do it myself..? I just ordered a shop manual so I can see what I'm getting myself into.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
the Viscous is your center differential, I hate to point to other sites for info, but I would try www.rangerovers.net

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM