99 discoII - 68K - Busted Drive Axel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Well after my exuberance concerning a solved sticky value situation thanks to seafoam, new shocks, tires etc., the evil of all evis occured. My wife is driving at 25 mph and the drive axel between the front and back seat underneath snapped. I am praying that it did not bang into the tranny which is a disaester. It looks like a clean break and after a discussion with my ex LR mechanic friend he said they do not grease pack that part. In fact, I was planning on getting this very axel packed next week but now I have to pay.

I had the car towed to LR but have not had the estimate yet. I am waiting to see what they say and will have someone else do it.

If the tranny is shot, I am calling LR direct and ******** since this should not happen as its close the warranty deadline.

Anyhow, I am just glad is happened 5 minutes from my house than 400 miles away in VT where I ski.

Any thoughts on the cost of the part would be great.

Thanks
Charlie

F

Freeflytim

Axels, actually AXLES, go left to right and DRIVESHAFTS go front to back. So Im guessing you lost your rear driveshaft? Thats not all too uncommon and is just a replacemant. If it were a D1 with CDL, you could drop the rear driveshaft completely and drive around in front wheel drive.

I hope you get your truck fixed soon so you can go back to VT, where you ski.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi

Your right. Sorry in my sheer frustration with LR service indeed its a driveshaft. The problem is it blew the tranny so the bills are mounting..

Joey, if you are readying thanks for the advise. Will keep you posted.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
NP, Charlie... and Yes I read just about every post.... I may not respond if I either a) have no clue, or b) waiting for someone with more experience to answer.....

Charlie L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Still battling LR on service. I sense the moral of this story is they do not want to deal with fixing older rovers. They simply throw out an astromical price to fix something that does not require "their authorized parts". I think LRs service biggest problem is the mechanics have to hit a quota to actually make money and if they were on a std salary I think the whole LR service experience would be manageable. I am still going after them to do the right thing.

In the meantime, I am exploring the Tom Woods Drive shaft since I think Moose mentioned its the right call and I sense with grease fittings vs the OEM non grease pack fittings it is indeed insurance. I do not want to go thru this again and would rather pay the premium for this part.

Anyhow, my saga continues but now with new shocks, plugs/wires, new Michelins, new Drive shaft, s belt with tensioner, and hopefully not a new tranny, I am going to have a vehicle that will ultimately get it together at some point....I hope! At the end of the day, I cannot give up on this baby. Its about loyalty.

If I have one point to mention, retrofit your drive shaft since its money well spent.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak