A new twist on EAS problems....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdf6hr

Reaction score
For approximately a year now, the EAS light would illuminate and message standard height only available after compressor cycling upon start up. Every start up. Every, every start up. One could start the vehicle, wait for compressor to cycle, turn vehicle off, immediately start it again and and the same thing would happen.

(I know you are thinking that after almost a year of this the compressor should be toast... I know, I cannot explain it either.)

Here's the twist: when it gets cold enough (low teens to single digits F degrees) it won't happen. Every thing back to normal. Off road height available, access height available, no EAS light, no worries, no kidding.

This all started after locking in access height to navigate an underground garage with a low clearance. It was intermitant at first, then became a part of the family after about 2 weeks.

The dealership pulled the codes and (wait for it)... wanted to replace the compressor. Shocking I know. I explained to them that the compressor seems to (over)work just fine. I suspect this is more likely loose and/or bad connection on a relay or sensor or somesuch.

Is it possible that 13 degrees and lower can constrict the metals in wiring and/or connections so as the "fault"signal does not get relayed the EAS control?

What do you guys (and gals I guess) think?

metalslug

Reaction score
Get a 2nd opinion from an indy Landrover shop. The fault could be anything really. Good Luck!!

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gosh am I sick of this stupid EAS!!
I think you should go with an indy as well, just to get the 2nd opinion.
I can't understand tho, if it doesnt leak, then how can the compressor run with the reserve being full, I mean where is it compressing the new air into??

armybuck041

Reaction score
I had the same issue. My money is on one of your height sensors. That was my issue, but I ended up doing a coil conversion anyway as all my suspension stuff was worn out.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
armybuck, I'd say we'd all be interested in how that coil suspension is working out for you. Install tid bits, pics of the finished conversion, how it performs on and off-road, etc.

Separate thread, of course....if you have time and data to write it up.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be something with the compressor temperature sensor? The colder temperature may be helping the compressor not to overheat.

Trynian

Reaction score
Could it be something with the compressor temperature sensor? The colder temperature may be helping the compressor not to overheat.

That is what i was thinking also. curious what the temp readings are now and when the fault occurs in warmer weather.

armybuck041

Reaction score
That is what i was thinking also. curious what the temp readings are now and when the fault occurs in warmer weather.

The reason why I disagree with this is that by the sounds of it, the compressor has no problem building pressure to get it from Access Mode to Normal height, but won't allow Off-Road height.

sdf6hr

Reaction score
I feel I should further clarify... upon start up while the compressor is doing its thing... I can select access height and it will cease compressing and lower. Likewise, I can select off-road height and the compressor continues to run but the bladders inflate as expected and the vehicle will rise. However, once the compressor shuts off from its "mandatory" cycle after starting, it throws the code and I'm stuck in normal mode.

I mentioned in my intial post that I this happens on every start. I should have made it clear that the cycling of the compressor varies in duration. If the vehicle sits for a few days the cycle is longer; if I just stop to fill the gas tank (6-7mins.) the cycle is very short, but still there with the EAS disable at the end.

The cycling times for those two situations are different but not proportional. It might only cycle 10 sec. after fiiling up and 50 sec. to 90sec. after sitting all weekend.

As far as compressor temperature issues, I have tended to discount that because I have produced that specific fault separately before while experimenting/reseaching this problem. I was going up and down, down and up just like in the old commercials trying to get a feel for what exactly was going on and it gave me the specific compresor overheat warning. It was different from the vague everyday one I have grown accustomed to.

Anyway, thank you one and all for your replies

Last edited:

Greg9504

Reaction score
I got the service history from the previous owner of my LR3, here is one that sounds similar. Give it a read see if it helps. Basically bad wiring. Are you able to read the exact codes? I'd get a IID tool...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Invoice_2014_07_09_Page1.jpg
    Invoice_2014_07_09_Page1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member