About to bite the bullet - but is it a rip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cherbear

Reaction score
Everyone,

Thoughts on the dealers quoted price? I'm about to buy a 2012 LR4 (not lux) and the dealer quoted me 51,900 as his rock bottom price. I thought that was a pretty good deal when I looked on the major web sites (kbb, true car) but I read through this forum, and many people were getting lux versions for the same price or less (but maybe earlier years?) Does anyone have thoughts on this price? I want a good deal, but I don't want to insult the dealer either.

Also, I am going to get the car in Fuji white, but when I saw it today, i was struck with how stark, BRIGHT white it is. Maybe I had just been seeing lots of alaska white rovers? Anyone have issue with the way Fuji white looks or keeping it clean? (I am going for white because my husband has a 2011 black LR4 lux, and I have complete car envy. He told me he was fine with me having the same car as him, but in a way different color. The greys and blue were too dark, so I thought it doesnt get any different than white....)

Which brings me to question #3 - how cheesy is it that husband and I are driving the same car? Pretty bad? I'm in a 2006 lexus rx now, and we just need more room for kids, people, dog, stuff.... We have looked at the seqoia, lexus 460, BMW, audi, mercedes, Tahoe, 4 Runner, etc... but I keep coming back to this car! I love driving my husbands car! And NO, I'm not ready for a mini van. I may be a wife and a mom, but I'm not wearing pleated front jeans and putting those freakin' stick-figure family stickers on the back of my car just yet... (No offense to those moms who love their minis. Or anyone who has those stick family stickers on their car. But yes, if you are wearing pleated-front mom jeans, you can take offense to that, because those are awful.)

And yes, we have secured a loan from the bank to help us pay for gas for the next few years. (We both have less than 10 minute commutes to work, I have less than 50000 miles on my 2006 car - we dont drive too far on a day to day basis.)

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Sgrodz

Reaction score
Cherbear,

What is the msrp of the lux you're looking at? I would go to truecar.com and put in your zip and it will give you the price others have paid. I just put a deposit on a black LR4 lux, the car msrp was 60,200 I believe and I got it for 53,900. Truecar said a fair price would be 55,900 so I think i did fairly good. One thing I don't think most people know is that Land rover has the special finance rates advertised, but you can take 2,000 cash back instead of the special rates ( .9 for 3 or 4 years and 1.9 for 5 years ) If you're financing, like I am, I called 3 dealers ( call at least 3 to get prices) and one finally said they could do the 1.9 for 5 years plus 2k cash back. I really wanted to do 3.5 or 4 years but for 1.9....I decided to take it and just pay it off early. ...best of both worlds. I took all the info i got while price shopping to my local dealer and told them if they could match i would buy today. Another piece of advise. You'll always get the best deal if the dealer has your car on the lot or can get it very easily. Ours did not but they got it from a dealer close by so I split the difference of $250 for them to pick it up. This was worth it as the dealer is literally right around the corner from us. I made it clear however that I was willing to pay $125 more but NO more. Don't forget, the 2013's will be out shortly so dealers just want to get rid of what they have left at this point. Also, most people think it's bogus, but the end of the month is really the best time to purchase a car. I was in the car business for several years so I know this is a fact. Good luck and by the wAy, it's totally cool for you to drive the same car as your husband....especially because it's such an awesome truck!

shawn

Last edited:

Sgrodz

Reaction score
I looked up truecar on the non lux....it's 50,300. I would say you should be able to get it somewhere between 49,300 - 49,700. Actually, just tell him to take the 2k off his 51,900 and you're almost there! Also, forgot to mention, but cross shop any accessories you may get as well. Our local dealer was 40-50 percent higher on some so part of the deal was they had to match the best prices I got on these as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1% over dealer cost is the general pricing around here.

I bought fuji white, it is a bit bright but a good color. No issues with cleanliness.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its fine you and your husband want to have the same experience driving a wonderful truck like the LR4. My wife and I both loved driving ours when we owned it.

Are you sure you don't want all of the goodies that come on the HSE or HSE LUX? In my opinion, those are some of the best features on the LR4. I can't imagine having an LR4 without some of those goodies.

I really feel that your deal is a little generous on your part, but each market is a bit different and some have to pay a little more. In the long run, if your dealer wants to keep your business they should be able to work a little better deal. In the end though, would $800 really make that much difference when you are buying a $55k+ vehicle? Making sure you feel good about the deal is very important, but at some point both parties will know this is a good deal and the best that can be done. I really wanted another $500 off when I haggled on ours, but I walked away happy.

I love the Fuji white, but I have heard it called refridgerator white by many people. It would be one of my top choices if I bought another one. Silver is a nice color on the LR4s. I had a now defunct "Buckingham Blue" LR4 HSE Lux. It was just about black in every light except ful sun. It was terrible to keep clean but it was sure beautiful!

Rob

cherbear

Reaction score
$h*t! Chickened out....

Ok, went in today, and looked at the car. When I pulled up, it was next to a chawton white LR3 that just happened to be sitting there. And I couldn't do it. The fuji white is simpy TOO bright for my taste. I felt terrible, because the dealer had ordered it from another city for me... But I had him send it back, I decided on the ipamena sand instead. The Nara bronze had an orange tint to it, and im not crazy about the silvers, so...so the dealer hates me, but it's ok.

Price wise, I was not able to get him down from 51,900. I called around to two other dealers in the area and was given rock bottom prices of 51,700 and 51,750, so I think it's just buying in Florida.... The true car price in my area is 51,250 for the HSE, and I think it's pretty spot on.

As for the Lux vs non-lux, the only thing I'll miss is the HID lights (I'm going to see how these are, and maybe swap them for the Philips) and if we move back north, the climate package will be missed. (but totally not needed if we stay here in Florida...) But the leather is a non issue (dog+kids+crap... The tougher the better.) I don't need the extra cameras. The cold box? We've used it three times in the last two years in my husbands car. Keyless entry is now standard. I'm sure the stereo is fine. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post pics... The car should be here tomorrow. (I will admit, I don't think the ipamena sand photos well, I think it looks better in person, like lots of Landrover colors. By the way, what happened to a nice traditional green? I looked t the greens in the catalogue, and didn't really love any of them...)

Thank you

Last edited:

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Memory seats were only on the lux in 2010 so that would be another loss feature if it wasn't made standard in 2012. Auto high beam was another lux feature, I believe.

Also, i don't think the lux leather is less durable so much as it's softer. I don't know if the seat cushion is also different or not but after sittining in my lux leather and then getting into a non lux loaner, I notice there is a drastic difference in comfort to me. It's almost like sitting in a cushy recliner in my lux leather while the standard leather cushion and feel was very stiff. I was honestly pretty shocked as was my wife when she road with me when we had the 2012 loaner. That said, the standard leather may just need to break in and soften with a little time.

LR4newbie

Reaction score
i have the 2012 HSE in fuji white. i think the black gets dirtier and am very happy with my color.

the sticker price was $56,200. the sale price ended up at $48,500. i am in NJ. i negotiated with them and was successful. i also had them throw in the rubber mats after i signed the paperwork so i knew that it would not be priced into the sale figure without me knowing.

good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM