Add 1 Quart of Oil after 6000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakelev

Reaction score
My transmission fluid was drained and refilled at about 85,000 miles and I currently have 108,000. Before I had changed the fluid, I had kind of a rough shifting problem when it was cold when it was shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. After changing fluid, the shifts seemed smoother but not 100%. I have heard bad things about "Flushing" the transmission though, so I would not recommend that. A drain and fill does not actually drain all of the fluid, only some of it comes out and thats what was recommended to me. I switch off between the dealer and 2 indie shops and one indie won't touch the transmission with a 10 foot pole and the other one says that the fluid should be changed at around 60,000 otherwise the transmission will not last past 120,000. If you're familiar with Atlantic British, they even recommend changing the fluid at 60,000 miles. The fluid is called ZF Lifeguard 6. I would call around and get a couple of opinions. I had mine changed for $300 at Yorks & Lancs Automotive in Chatsworth, CA and I have a 2010 RRS S/C.

Fields Carlisle

Reaction score
My transmission fluid was drained and refilled at about 85,000 miles and I currently have 108,000. Before I had changed the fluid, I had kind of a rough shifting problem when it was cold when it was shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. After changing fluid, the shifts seemed smoother but not 100%. I have heard bad things about "Flushing" the transmission though, so I would not recommend that. A drain and fill does not actually drain all of the fluid, only some of it comes out and thats what was recommended to me. I switch off between the dealer and 2 indie shops and one indie won't touch the transmission with a 10 foot pole and the other one says that the fluid should be changed at around 60,000 otherwise the transmission will not last past 120,000. If you're familiar with Atlantic British, they even recommend changing the fluid at 60,000 miles. The fluid is called ZF Lifeguard 6. I would call around and get a couple of opinions. I had mine changed for $300 at Yorks & Lancs Automotive in Chatsworth, CA and I have a 2010 RRS S/C.
Did your rig sort of just slam into reverse when cold, as in right after starting it? I've got similar rough shift, but I also seem to think I hear torque converter shudder in third gear.

BigZ

Reaction score
This is a few years past the last post but my experience with transmission in my 06 LR3 4.4L. I did a full service with new solenoids, gaskets, filter, fluids etc. Was having issue losing 2nd gear. Everybody said "don't flush the tranny". Terrible advise. After my service it's perfect (don't forget to reset the shift adaptations). 180k miles, perfect.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The entire "Dont flush the fluid, it'll ruin your transmission" myths are ********.

The guys (in any car, in general) who flush their transmissions thinking it's going to fix a problem already have a problem, and the flush isn't going to help it. If anything, it'll die 10k miles later and they will blame the flush.

I think the general opinion on this forum is to drain/fill it around 80k, and replace the OEM pan with the metal one from AB.

I'm going to flush mine soon (I'm at 90k miles) and am thinking of doing the zip kit as well, although I don't have any problems whatsoever. Towing and normal driving/off roading all shift smoothly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99