Add Blind Spot Monitoring ? - 2016 LR4 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Looks like the hardware is easily available.

Is this vehicle pre-wired and is it just a simple connect and setup?

Where in the IID Tool menu does this live?

Can you do each side independently or are you required to do both sides at once?
(It's not an inexpensive project.)

And any applicable hints?

Thanks.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is weird, I thought all 2014+ cars have BSM in the NAS market.

Go into the car setup menu (right arrow pad on steering wheel) and see if the option is turned on.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per the landroverusa.com website for 2016 LR4, blind spot monitoring was not standard equipment on any trim level.
So I am guessing that it is not pre-wired and that if it came with BSM it had an upgraded wiring harness.

But if anyone knows better, I am all ears!

(I will check the menu when daughter gets home, but I don't see anything in the mirror glass that would indicate an LED in there..)

But, they do say that the side mirrors are heated - so which button does that??
(It's not even mentioned in the owners manual)

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blind spot monitoring was not standard equipment on any trim level
It came as a part of the 'Landmark Edition' trim on my 2016 along with other driver assist..and other stuff. Essentially the LUX Package for $2470 instead of $8500. The only extra I paid for was the HD Package for $1350 (a bargain for what it does for capability). Only option missing is Adaptive Cruise Control, couldn't find one with that.
upload_2021-5-25_12-20-40.jpeg

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, FWIW, the 2016.5 HSE trim level version became ‘HSE-Silver Edition’ and it included the vision assist pack w/ BSM as standard. That ‘pack’ was an option on early 2016 HSE’s so it could very well be ‘pre-wired’. Even so, I imagine you are correct regarding the expense.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting because per the website BSM is not part of the Landmark Package, but since when was a Rover document the final word??

I checked, there is no option on my daughters truck in the vehicle setup menu that addresses BSM and there is no indication of any LED behind the mirror glass.

Which brings us back to the original question - does anyone know if this thing is pre-wired or do I just have to take it apart to find out?

Or is there a trim description by VIN number look up?

I am slowly coming to an understanding that each and every one of these vehicles is a totally independent entity, only slightly related to any other vehicle, even of the same year and trim level.

Thanks.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coming to an understanding that each and every one of these vehicles is a totally independent entity
They sure can be. Largely due to most of the 'packages' and 'options' being pretty much available across the 'trim levels' for a personal factory order. The link below is to an interesting LR marketing bulletin that explains what they did for (literally) a LR4 model year 2016.5 including the trim levels. It also describes the options/equipment and cost included with each. They then cranked out a bunch of them, probably with some dealer input and orders, and shortly thereafter, they stopped taking 'orders'. The long run of the LR3-LR4 came to an end. You had to search and pick from what was out there.

Yours is likely an earlier HSE (not a 'Silver') and must not have vision assist/BSM, but you would think that the 'guts' of it (wiring) could be there as it was an option. It's complicated would have other sensors in addition to the mirrors...the package includes backing cross-traffic warning which has saved my bacon a couple of times. I understand why you want it for Daughters daily driver.

Too bad there really isn't an easily accessible JLR data base with the 'build sheet' for every unit...Porsche has it..and it's free. SMH.

Here's the link: http://cdn.ovalnews.com/pdf/mpr15-27.pdf

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure what LR did with the LR4, but aparently with the Defender there are lots of features that are "pre-installed" in every car and then just turned on or off via software. Maybe this "Mo" person in the UK would know, or Simon at PowerfulUK, as he likes to dig into these kinds of details about the Land Rovers.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic77550.html

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA