After first 1000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 LR3 HSE. Now, it's getting close to first 1000 miles and I absolutely love this car. There were two things that bugged so far.

1. Sunroof did not close properly. Dealer fixed it
2. Second row roof shade didn't hold securely when closed. Dealer fixed it

So far, so good. Some questions to other LR3 owners.

1. From time to time, right after I shut off the engine, maybe 10 sec later, I hear "pssss" sound that lowers air suspension. I mentioned this to my dealer and he said it is normal. or is it?
2. I think my car has either alignment or wheel balance problem but dealer is saying it is going through "bed-in" process. You guys think it's worth to check alignment or balance with 3rd party at my cost? Mine has Goodyears tires.
3. I would love to hear some sound (like horn) when I lock the car. Right now, it just blinks 3 times. I was going to ask dealer to see if they can do that but after my (side molding) experience and reading other dealers' crapy job, I am afraid they might mass up electric system. Has anybody done that before? Should I still trust my dealer (on adding horn sound when I lock the doors) or should I look for expert on that - maybe alarn install company?
4. My navigation system works just fine and I think it's normal but I was thinking it would be better if touch screen is little more sensitive. Is it even possible to adjust that?

What you guys think? Thanks for replies in advance. Brian from DE

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Normal.

2) You didn't state your actual symptom. Tracking wrong? If so, have them work on it.

3) Sorry, no option to set that. Can't you hear your truck locking while standing next to the car, or see it blink from a distance? You honestly don't trust the car locks when you press the lock button on the fob? I personally dislike horn based locking sounds, as do my neighbors.

Anyway, if you press the lock button over and over... I think 20-30 times.... the horn will honk at full volume, as an incentive to stop doing it. :smile: Please don't do this often, especially in my neighborhood.

4) No, sensitivity is fixed and does require a firm press to limit erroneous input.

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grommet is spot on. Especially on #3. There's no need for an audible "I just set the alarm on my $50K truck so you'd better keep away!" alarm setting. You're just attracting attention to yourself.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Reason I think mine needs alignment or wheel balance check: It vibrates, especially between 50 and 60 miles. Nothing major and that's why dealer thinks I need to give it some time. Weird because it rides smoother at 70 miles.

This is my first Land Rover and sometimes, I think "is it the way it's supposed to work in Land Rover world?" This forum is very helpful to answer that question.

Regarding audiable sound when I lock the door: Now I think of it, I really don't need it. I am used to my old car, which has alarm. It's time for me to get used to LR3. Thanks again - Brian from DE

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flysurfer, definitely have them look at the alignment under warranty. When I leased mine I mentioned that the camber looked a little off. He said "they are all that way, it's how they make them". Instead of realizing that they must have set them all wrong, I just shrugged it off. Miles later when my tires went bald on the inside edges, I complained and they said "you should have done something about it sooner". Can't win. So even if you have to make some stuff up, get them to do it under warranty. Or your already crappy tires will be toast by 15k.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I worried about. They already test drove it and didn't make a big deal out of it. I was even thinking about bring mine to other shop for alignment and balance check but don't feel comfortable other machenics than dealer working on my "new" car. or am I over-protecting my LR3??? - Brian from DE

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definetly get the alignment check. I had a nightmare scenario with the alignment on my new LR3.

• Purchased Jan 07
  • Noticed the vehicle had very severe bumpsteer and tramlining on day two of ownership
  • At 750 miles noticed the outer treadblocks were showing significant wear
  • Brought it in at 1.5K miles. Dealer said alignment was "fine", and accussed me of putting old tires/someone swapped tires:stupid: Things got very ugly at this point, as I was certain that they did not road-test it and suspected they fubbed the alignment.
  • While waiting for the new GYs on back order, the front tires wore to slick-bald. Called the SM, and said the toe had to be way out, and I basically accussed them of incompetence/lying regarding the alignment.
  • They rechecked the alignment at 2.5k. All four corners were very significantly out of specification, with toe-in (pigeon toed). Went ballistic in a mostly gentlemanly manner. Wrote letters and completed factual, but not happy, survey responses.
  • SM told me they fired their alignment guy. He and I went so far over the edge, that I can never return to that dealership.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Normal
2. Definitely get it done, it's cheap and you can have it done at your neighborhood tire store without concern. The adjustments are little more than slapping a crescent wrench on a turnbuckle, but the laser alignment jig is the key!. Your dealer doesn't have one, they probably just take it to the same tire shop you would. Have the alignment checked frequently and often.
3. Leave a door open if you wish to hear the honk :)
4. The nav system is quaint, like my old Marconi radio.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

I DID bring my 07 LR3 to local tire store for alignment + balance, total cost $110. They said they adjusted some but it wasn't far off. I see wheel balance was adjusted as well but not much as well.

My LR3 still has very little vibration (less than before or is it just how I feel?) at around 50mph but now I believe it could be just me or tires. - Brian from DE

M

mikelambert1987

Hi there, just was reading this post, I have had your same issue with tire vibration ended up getting two alignments because of vibration issues. Finally spoke with a mechanic i have known very well for my entire life, He works on very nice cars etc. so knows his stuff. From what he said when i had this vibe problem is that alignment unless totall out of spec does not generally cause vibration on the road it has to do with tire balance. As alignment has to do with the way the tire touches the road in a uniform manner. Balance of the wheel is what causes the vibration at speed that you are noticing.Again this is more often then not. If you are still feeling the vibes try the balancing again. On my rover i had 255/55 r-18's and it took a second trip to a good shop to get them properly balanced. Also any mud or dirt even a small amount can cause vibes at certain speeds. This is just from my personal experiences just throwin in my two cents.

Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635