aftermarket replacement radio agian

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Discosid

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Aftermarket Radio/CD install
I posted this question a week ago. The response was small but helpful thanks.
However I have a related but new question.
I decided to go to Best Buy and just get them to fit the unit. I found a reasonable JVC or AIWA to choose. B BUY said the fitting is free till I told them it was a ’94 Discovery the cost went up to around $100. They said that the whole thing needed to be rewired direct to the speakers. My question is I read on Message boards in the past, Postings that I can’t find now. You can pop the radio straight in with some mods to the wire connections of course. Without bypassing the LR AMP.
Has anyone done this job and if so, how. I have no problems doing this job myself I just when to B Buy because I was feeling lazy. Any Help and or feedback on this would be great Thanks.

SID

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a very good car audio shop and they said that unless it was the JBL upgrade or premium system it should be a staight wire connection, they did say that it would be good to get the plug in wiring harness ($13) so that you could plug in the old stereo later if you wanted to keep it and it makes for easier install. DIIs are a little more difficult, because of the integrated amps. If it is a premium system (JBL) then it may need to have additional line run to the amp, sub, etc. ?? Mine was not, so it was not a problem. The place I talked to said it was $40 including harness, which to me is worth it, even if I didn't have to run wires. You might want to check around...

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I say premium I mean factory premium or JBL, obviously you are going to put in a "premium" system

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is my pushbutton-preset, AM-only with 8-track player "premium"?

:biggrin:

Discosid

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks guys one step forward and two steps back.
I’m having no problems with the 8 track, I found I small place just in front of the air filter box where the jack used to be. I find it a little difficult when changing a tape, stop get out lift the hood etc etc. But boy what sound quality. This was a straight plug and play via the cruse control pump.
Thank god I didn’t come to a message board that gave helpful advice.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I can't really help anymore than what I've posted.... I have a 98 D1 and it was a straight hookup, as easy as a ford install, and I gave you advice from a pro shop.... You can drive to KC and I will put it in for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635