Aftermarket Carplay/Android Auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I finally came up with the perfect solution for me and my LR4. I bought an aftermarket 10.26" Apple Carplay/Android Auto unit. It does Bluetooth handoff for music and handles wireless for the carplay/AA so there's a little bit of a hiccup if you have your phone auto connect to the LR4 via Bluetooth as it will start there and then the aftermarket unit has to grab it and then do a handoff so it's a little goofy to start but solid after that (that's my experience with android auto at least).

I was going to try to mount it to the dash or the windshield but ended up getting the vent mounts off of Aliexpress. It's mounted on a single vent with a little modification to the vent mount bracket. I basically drilled an 11/64ths hole through the ball mount and through the back of the bracket. I then threaded the thumb screw for the back of the display unit through the vent mount bracket. It doesn't bounce or move around at all and quite honestly looks like it could have been part of an original design had they modernized the LR4 dash instead of that goofy pivipro dash in the new Defenders. It doesn't block the view of the OEM system and it's about 1/4" inch away from the cowl over the instrument cluster.

I did end up getting a switchable power socket for it as I found turning it off is a good thing as it will auto connect if anyone opens a door and it powers up. That was causing goofiness with my phone. The whole system doesn't even need to be powered on for your phone to continue to work via Bluetooth to the LR either which is really nice.

Ask away if you have questions or want more details.

Aftermarket Apple Carplay/Android Auto Unit
Aliexpress vent mount

Attachments

• 20231223_092333.jpg
    20231223_092333.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20231223_092341.jpg
    20231223_092341.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20231223_092328.jpg
    20231223_092328.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20231223_092353.jpg
    20231223_092353.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 95

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice install and the screen is closer to the driver. I had thoughts of a car pc and picked out this monitor and wasn't sure about mounting but saw this beanbag mount. I have bespoke software that uses google maps, a GPS and overlays for public land (BLM/Forest) boundaries and weather so that when I pick a spot to camp I know I have a right to be there. BLM land is kind of hard because there are no property boundary signs.

As an aside, I like the chrome/silver looking knobs you have for the HVAC and factory HU. Mine are black and have some crust gewy residue on them that I need to address. Where did you get those knobs or are they factory? Do those knobs come off so they can be cleaned?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dial covers are aftermarket and I always forget they're not OEM. I put those on because I was concerned about the rubber dials failing over time. They use 3M tape to stay put and I have never removed them to clean and I probably never will.

Qiilu Air Conditioner Radio Volume Button Knob Covers, 5Pcs Chrome Volume and Air Conditioning Knobs Trim for Land Rover Discovery 4 LR4 2009-2016 https://a.co/d/2arDbQM

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dial covers are aftermarket and I always forget they're not OEM. I put those on because I was concerned about the rubber dials failing over time. They use 3M tape to stay put and I have never removed them to clean and I probably never will.

Qiilu Air Conditioner Radio Volume Button Knob Covers, 5Pcs Chrome Volume and Air Conditioning Knobs Trim for Land Rover Discovery 4 LR4 2009-2016 https://a.co/d/2arDbQM
How did you remove the factory knobs, did you just pry them off with a screw driver?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72