Poor man’s CarPlay installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had it for about a week. It's really good in some ways, disappointing in other. I use Android. Connection to AA is solid, quick to boot, and connection time respectable. Once connected, it's standard AA affair, so really positive. Screen quality good as well.

The bad: audio Fm volume too low, can't play over BT (not sure if that's even doable), Aux sound quality lacking. Auto brightness went on fritz once, I'll see if that repeats. Screen does not have two finger touch, so no zoom in or out. Dock options meh, but if I keep the device, I have an idea for a solution. Steering wheel controls don't work, very frustrating. Also, wireless AA is battery hog, not the products fault I'm guessing. Finally, bezel bigger than competition and ugly logo upfront super annoying.
Thanks for that info. I would be using an iPhone. My main reason for getting this thing was for music-so I am going to see if it makes sense for me. Did you mount it on the dash above the nav screen?

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update-got this set up today. It works pretty well and had no problem pairing. Not sure what issues you are having with audio playback, DiscoLR4, but mine is just as good as any other source-sounds fine. Maybe you got a bad cable or its not pushed into the Aux input all the way? I did not even attempt to use the FM broadcast method. So far so good.

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
So far it's mounted using suction on the windshield, but low and resting on the dash. Not ideal, it's back further than I want and blocks front view just a bit.

Sound quality takes a small hit even with aux. Other reviews confirm that, regardless phone system. I'm not a big audiophile and can live with that, but if you switch back and forth, you'll notice it. Volume seems to not be stable. I'm turning the volume knob a lot now. This could be due to songs I play, so not sure if this is carpuride issue.

So far head two issues, once it wouldn't auto launch AA, had to restart the device. And once phone call related, had to restart my phone. The second issue could be phone's fault, so more to check.

Let me know how you mount it. Still need an elegant solution.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far it's mounted using suction on the windshield, but low and resting on the dash. Not ideal, it's back further than I want and blocks front view just a bit.

Sound quality takes a small hit even with aux. Other reviews confirm that, regardless phone system. I'm not a big audiophile and can live with that, but if you switch back and forth, you'll notice it. Volume seems to not be stable. I'm turning the volume knob a lot now. This could be due to songs I play, so not sure if this is carpuride issue.

So far head two issues, once it wouldn't auto launch AA, had to restart the device. And once phone call related, had to restart my phone. The second issue could be phone's fault, so more to check.

Let me know how you mount it. Still need an elegant solution.
I mounted it to the dash with suction cup-so far it seems ok but I need to see how the heat affects it-if that doesn't work, I am going to try the adhesive pad. The front of the screen rests on the edge of the dash and I added small diameter adhesive rubber weather stripping to the bottom of the display for full contact to the dash, which keeps it from vibrating. I am using Qobuz for audio streaming from my phone and in all honesty, it sounds great-I will do more A/B testing to confirm and I am a "certifiable" audiophile. I have not had any other issues but need to use it more. As you mention, steering wheel controls only the volume now for audio, no track selection. I will take pictures when I have a chance.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics. I flipped the arm of the suction cup around as well-seems to be a better angle for getting it lower on the dash. Next is to find a small Land Rover emblem on some black film to place over the logo on the display.

Attachments

• thumbnail-2.jpeg
    thumbnail-2.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 44
  • thumbnail-3.jpeg
    thumbnail-3.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 43
  • thumbnail-4.jpeg
    thumbnail-4.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 42

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
Looking good Franklin. Mine is positioned in the same spot, but just a bit back. Didn't want to attach the glue on suction to the leather. I have brown leather and I'm afraid it'll leave a visible mark.

Let me know what you find to hide that logo.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good Franklin. Mine is positioned in the same spot, but just a bit back. Didn't want to attach the glue on suction to the leather. I have brown leather and I'm afraid it'll leave a visible mark.

Let me know what you find to hide that logo.
Gotcha-and thanks. For sure will post pics of my solution regarding logo.

DiscoLR4

Reaction score
Gotcha-and thanks. For sure will post pics of my solution regarding logo.

Here's what I'm leaning towards.

Found this phone mount on AliExpress for less that $2.5 each. Cut a small slit in the plastic to make a 'dock'. seems to be working fine. Stable enough, but ordered two more to cut narrower slots for increased stability.

Attachments

• PXL_20230702_003913849.jpg
    PXL_20230702_003913849.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20230701-194435.png
    Screenshot_20230701-194435.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20230702_010433156.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20230702_010433156.NIGHT.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Forum statistics