Aftermarket Rims - 20 / 22"ers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered rims from www.cpwinc.com ?? They seem to have several wheel / tire packages on eBay for around $1700 and was curious if anyone had any experience with them. If not, any other reasonable aftermarket rims?

Thanks,
Tim-in-CA

holygrail

Reaction score
Don't get low Quality Wheels for heavy SUVs

Has anyone ordered rims from www.cpwinc.com ?? They seem to have several wheel / tire packages on eBay for around $1700 and was curious if anyone had any experience with them. If not, any other reasonable aftermarket rims?

Thanks,
Tim-in-CA

Hello Tim,

I'm in the process of researching wheels for my 2011 LR4. I just about finished my research and narrowed it down to Lexani (LSS-10) Wheels. They are $413-416/wheel...$1664 total 4 wheels. You can find them on http://www.carid.com. Carid also sells other aftermarket parts such as custom grills, HID fog lights, LEDs, running boards, etc.

You'll be paying extra money, but well worth it. That $1664 price is for wheels only. THe reason why for Lexanis is because they are all forged wheels, therefore strong and very capable of the weight of the LR4 and potholes.

Lastly and most importantly, you wanna go with a forged wheel b/c of the light-weight benefits. The stock LR4 HSE 19x8 in wheels (255/55R-19 tire) weigh between 36-37 lbs (not incl tire weight). The Lexani LSS-5, LSS-10, and LSS-55 with 20x8.5 inches (275/45R-20 tires) weigh only between 26-37 lbs (not incl tire weight). That's a 10 lbs/wheel savings. That means increased exceleration, quicker steering response, better handling, and shorter stopping distances.

On my BMW 335i, I saved 6-7 lbs on each wheel and the difference in gas savings increased from 26.4 to 30.6 mpg hwy milage as long as I stay below 75 mph. Those numbers include a full aftermarket exhaust system.

Now imagine the LR4 with 10 lbs saving on each wheel, with a K&N air filter, and possibly a better flow exhaust...I can guaranty at least 2-3 mpg increase for highway. I think we can all use better fuel milage. I've been doing this with all my cars since 1990 and must've saved thousands of dollars in gas savings since then and now. That's my two cents.

V/r,
Chris

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen the ads on Ebay for those wheels, but I really don't know anythign about them.

I have been looking at wheels too, and the top of my whish list is Redbourne wheels. They are made specifically for Land Rovers. http://www.redbournewheels.com/downloads/

My favorite wheel is the Baron. They are a little more expensive, I belived they are $630 a wheel.

Good luck with your wheel shopping and make sure to post pictures when you get them on.

Rob

holygrail

Reaction score
Know the Weight, material, and construction type of wheel

Hi,

I have seen the ads on Ebay for those wheels, but I really don't know anythign about them.

I have been looking at wheels too, and the top of my whish list is Redbourne wheels. They are made specifically for Land Rovers. http://www.redbournewheels.com/downloads/

My favorite wheel is the Baron. They are a little more expensive, I belived they are $630 a wheel.

Good luck with your wheel shopping and make sure to post pictures when you get them on.

Rob

Rob,

For that price, they better be light forged wheels. You need to call and ask how heavy with and without chrome, material, and construction, i.e. low spun, pressed, forged, etc. If they are just alloy wheels, then you're paying too much money. There's no way I was going to spend $4k for wheels, b/c if you hit a big enough ***-hole, then they all bend the same way, cheap or not. However, I did want a forged wheel without paying an arm and leg. Forged wheels ensures it will hold the LR4's heavy weight along with 7 passangers which can well go over 1000+ lbs on top of 5800 lbs. Plus the lighter the wheel, the less weight and impact force on tires and suspensions when you do hit a ***-hole...which can make a difference between getting a bubble in your tire or not.

Looks aren't everything, and strength and weight are if not more, equally important. Most aftermarket wheels for the LR4 will be in the 30 lb weight category. That's average weight. Most good 275/45R-20 tires weigh 34-35 lbs. Some brands are 41 lbs, but that's too heavy of a tire. The stock LR4 255/55R-19 weigh about 36 lbs. So you should stay the same or see if you can shave another 1-3 lbs off from that. At the end, you'll save gas, and have day/night difference in acceleration and handling. I speak from experience. You'll be pleased!

V/r,
Chris

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't purchased the rims yet, but I found pix with the rims installed on the same color LR4 I have (Stornoway Gray) ... From the pix, the color on the rim seems to be a close match. I shot them an email asking about weight and construction. I think that these look pretty nice installed ....

Attachments

• landrover_windsor5_01.jpg
    landrover_windsor5_01.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 266
  • landrover_windsor5_02.jpg
    landrover_windsor5_02.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 266
  • landrover_windsor5_03.jpg
    landrover_windsor5_03.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 262
  • landrover_windsor5_04.jpg
    landrover_windsor5_04.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 260

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob,

For that price, they better be light forged wheels. You need to call and ask how heavy with and without chrome, material, and construction, i.e. low spun, pressed, forged, etc. If they are just alloy wheels, then you're paying too much money. There's no way I was going to spend $4k for wheels, b/c if you hit a big enough ***-hole, then they all bend the same way, cheap or not. However, I did want a forged wheel without paying an arm and leg. Forged wheels ensures it will hold the LR4's heavy weight along with 7 passangers which can well go over 1000+ lbs on top of 5800 lbs. Plus the lighter the wheel, the less weight and impact force on tires and suspensions when you do hit a ***-hole...which can make a difference between getting a bubble in your tire or not.

Looks aren't everything, and strength and weight are if not more, equally important. Most aftermarket wheels for the LR4 will be in the 30 lb weight category. That's average weight. Most good 275/45R-20 tires weigh 34-35 lbs. Some brands are 41 lbs, but that's too heavy of a tire. The stock LR4 255/55R-19 weigh about 36 lbs. So you should stay the same or see if you can shave another 1-3 lbs off from that. At the end, you'll save gas, and have day/night difference in acceleration and handling. I speak from experience. You'll be pleased!

V/r,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the great information. I know this may sound counter productive, but I know for sure my set up will be heavier than the stock set up. I'm moving the tire size up almost 2 inches, so the tire will be on the heavy side. The specs for the tire say 43lbs each.

I did look a little closer at the wheels I was looking at. It apears they are 2pc spun rims with cast centers. Not exactally a cutting edge wheel by todays standards. I would totally agree with you that a forged wheel would be the way to go if I can find a good looking one that doesn't break my bank. Still, I know there is no way I can afford wheels and tires right now. I just got done buying two cars for the kids, getting my LR4, going on two vacations in the last month, a new water heater a new heat pump/ac and now the other heat pump/ac at our house just went out. I'm totally taped out finacially for anything more than a bottle of wine.

Rob

holygrail

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the great information. I know this may sound counter productive, but I know for sure my set up will be heavier than the stock set up. I'm moving the tire size up almost 2 inches, so the tire will be on the heavy side. The specs for the tire say 43lbs each.

I did look a little closer at the wheels I was looking at. It apears they are 2pc spun rims with cast centers. Not exactally a cutting edge wheel by todays standards. I would totally agree with you that a forged wheel would be the way to go if I can find a good looking one that doesn't break my bank. Still, I know there is no way I can afford wheels and tires right now. I just got done buying two cars for the kids, getting my LR4, going on two vacations in the last month, a new water heater a new heat pump/ac and now the other heat pump/ac at our house just went out. I'm totally taped out finacially for anything more than a bottle of wine.

Rob

Rob,

I know what you mean. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan. I volunteered b/c I hate being in debt. My goal is to pay everything off and buy a "real" family car with whatever's left over. Depending how many hours of overtime I receive will determine if I'm going to place my wheel and tire order. And then there are the TPMS monitors and that's another $250 for five sets on Tirerack.com. Whatever is left over will go to the downpayment on my 2011 LR4 HSE. The dealer is going to hold on to my vehicle until I return. I told him that I'll take delivery in January. The goal is not to exceed $455 on monthly payments on the car. I'm going to wait on the wheels until Winter is over. Last Winter, we got hit hard in D.C. so that's one of the main reasons why I want this LR4. My BMW can't get me out to the main road even if my life depended on it. So, I'll leave the snow for the LR4.

Nice wheels by the way! They look great! What size are the wheels and tires in that photo?

I'm analyzing that low profile to determine if it'll be safe on medium sized potholes. My tire is going to be a 275/45R-20 and I don't have anything to compare this to here in Afghanistan. My bimmer has 275/35R-18s in the rear and it hardly has any rubber to withstand a small pothole. Judging by that profile in your picture, it doesn't look too low and I think that size tire can probably withstand a decent size pothole in the D.C./VA area.

V/r,
Chris

gotMals

Reaction score
just got my lr4 fitted with 22" redbournes...love it. seems way more responsive on take off and maneuvering. i have no idea about weights etc, but went to a 35 series tire as well.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awesome! I really want some Baron wheels but in 20" so I can still have some offroad tires.

Seriously...you post that you got new wheels and didn't even give us a picture of them?

Blimms

Reaction score
Newbie here,

Just recently (1 month) picked up an LR4 and love it. I once owned the Disco II and it was nice, but it was a slug ........ no power/get up and go. A/C was lacking. I live in S. FL. and it never seemed to get cold.
The new LR4 is everything one could want. I just recently put 22" Vossen wheels on it (the new concave series) and let me tell you ........... that thing is "HOT". I went staggered because I wanted the look. The quality of the ride improved !!! I couldn't believe it. I've had serveral BMW X5 and Mercedes GL 550 drivers to ask me about the LR4. :proud:

The stats and pics:

Front - 22X9 with 265/40 R22
Rear - 22X10.5 with 305/35 R22

I love my LR4.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited: