Air Compressor and any high ticket item before warranty runs out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just took my 2008 LR3 HSE 73.5K miles back from LR dealership in NJ after servicing. Since I was quite late in the evening, I couldnt discuss the work done on my LR3 with the rep there.

As my currently extended warranty is coming to an end in another two months, I specifically asked them to look at my compression and suspension and make any fixes as required (I just had to pay a deductible of $100). From this board, I observed that suspension/compressor are the high ticket items that usually fails around 70K miles. I found these notes on my service slip -

1. Replace Hitachi Compressor with AMK Compressor - 1 LR Compressor Kit $995.32

2. CPL ( I am assuming its Labor Cost) - ~$300

If I am not wrong, I read that the compressor replacement costs around $2000 so just wondering if the entire compressor was changed or some air intake kit was replaced (earlier I was told that the air wasnt going fast enough in my current compressor). Sorry, I am not very technical in auto matters. Do you guys have any idea? Does the cost look reasonable for the entire compressor kit, and is AMK compressor the right one? :confused:

Also, are there any other big ticket items that I should have them looked in quite detail before my extended warranty runs out in another 2-3 months? If required, I am willing to make another round at the dealership a week or two before my warranty runs out.

By the way, I also enquired about extended warranty options on my 2008 73.5miles LR3 and have posted it in this sticky -
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=164657&postcount=160

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pricing does look right, to me. Yes, AMK is the latest OE compressor. As for big-ticket items, there's always bushings and differentials. Wheel bearings too and make sure your transmission is clean and dry (no leaks).

EPB actuator, rear hatch mechanism....what else?

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
Thanks. Really helpful. I'll ask for these in the next checkup in 3 months.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
900 sounds reasonable, one can find them new for around 700 on ebay.

Edit: from my experience the whole air suspension is absolute rubbish and quite unreliable if you actually go off-road often (by often I mean twice a week or so) so if I were you I would try to replace as many components as possible, I've spend quite a few thousands over the past year.

Last edited:

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
can you share what items you had to replace? i plan to get those checked during the next visit.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've replaced 3 air struts, one valve block, and the compressor twice.
Also check the thermostat on the cooling system, it is prone to leak.
If they tell you no replacement is needed try to replace all of this anyway as it will fail sooner or later

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM