Air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LROVER

Reaction score
Hi,
How often do you guys change your air filter? I have changed my air filter before, but before replacing it again this year, I wanted to know if anyone had ever used a K&N filter instead of the cheaper brands? If you have, have you noticed a difference in the car's performance and is the extra money really worth it? Or should I stick to the cheaper brands, such as Purolator? I was looking into buying one last time i replaced it since it would last longer and that way I wouldn't have to change it again for a long while- just clean it, but i would've had to special order it from Pep Boys and I ended up not waiting for it.

Also, I have never changed the pollen (cabin air) filter in my freelander... Where is that located inside the car? If anyone has changed theirs let me know how and which one is good to buy. (I know the owner's manual says to change it every 15,000 miles...)

Thanks in advance:smile:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about the cabin air filter, but I can say the the K&N filters will cause more issues then they are worth if you do not oil them properly.. a little too much oil, and you will be buying a new MAF sensor. And they will not increase fuel economy or power. I repeat WILL NOT increase fuel economy or power no matter what you may read or have heard.

LROVER

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.

If it is more likely to cause me problems then I'm going to forget about it. And if it doesn't help increase fuel economy or HP then it is a good thing I didn't waste my $ on it the first time! I guess I had previously been misled into thinking buying K&N would make a difference.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately a lot of people have been mislead to think it helps... the only thing it will help with is if you spend the extra money, and upgrade the exhaust, and remap the ECU, which will cost more than just an air filter.

freelander2

Reaction score
airfilter

I had my car in the dealer for the 48k service. They came out and said that they had to special order filter ot I could get one myself. $77 from the dealer. Autozone onl gave me the k&N as the only option but I would have to special order at $45. Did not mention to me any problems with that filter. I went to Napa *** picked one u in stock for $25.

Had some other probs and have to take it in tomorrow. The service manager is upset finding out she just sent me to the auto parts store for my own part but they are going to put it in and said it will work fine. But I saved $50.

TRD4ME

Reaction score
Freelander cabin filter is located inside the heater plenum, you remove the panel under the passengers feet and it is to the left. There whould be two phillips screws holding it in place. It has a few slits cut in the filter, as you have to bend it to an extreme angle to get it in and out.

As for increased gas milage, the best improvement you will notice is simply keeping your vehicle in the best shap you can. Tire pressure and condition is a big issue. Air filters, engine and transmisison fluids (don't touch trans fluid in a freelander), The type of gas you use.

The biggest factor in fuel economy is making sure to adjust the nut that connects the steering wheel to the seat.

freelander2

Reaction score
freelander air filter change

The dealer called it the cabin filter. It's just the airfilter. I was just at the dealer and they puled it out to check to see if it was already replaced?

You need to remove the engine shroud by turning the 2 knobs toward the front, release the pull strap from behind (toward the pass compartment) Then with a flat head, remove the intake air hose clamps to remove the shroud.

Then you flip over the shroud and remove the heat shield (with a phillips head) screws

Then you need a 25 torx bit to remove the cover to get out the airfilter.

Be careful when you put it back in so it doesn't pinch.

After all of this the dealer forgot they had changed it.

Now after all that, I think the K&N filtr would be way too much maintainence.

The parts manager and I were laughing the entire time about how many tools it took to change a filter. Give yourself at least an hour.

The process was in the little glovebox book that comes with the car.

LROVER

Reaction score
The cabin air filter (also called pollen air filter) is different from the air filter you are talking about. I have changed the air filter (under the hood) and yeah it is more time consuming than most cars. lol Luckily, It didn't take me an hour because i had already looked in the owner's manual (and i did change it myself), but it does take some time.

Thanks for the info on the cabin air filter, TRD4ME, I had heard it was located somewhere in the passenger footwell area but have not been able to take it out yet.

LROVER

Reaction score
I was able to change the cabin air filter already. Really simple after I got down in the footwell and looked at what I'd need to take off the four screws. An awkward place to get to though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM