Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gerry McGovern is still lead design and they all still claim that once all models are revealed, it will all make sense. I guess we just have to wait and see. There are a lot of new models coming from Land Rover in the next 7 years.

https://www.landrover.com/explore-land-rover/unstoppable-spirit/gerry-mcgovern.html
I guess I should be encouraged, and I suppose my 2005 LR3 still has seven years in it.

My understanding of capitalism is that what you did yesterday does not matter; it is today that counts.

Having designs that the Chinese copy is not my idea of success.

It would be nice to have at least one current vehicle that sells!

If that is the new Defender, somehow I doubt it is the answer - hope I am wrong, or that the jpg is just to mislead the imitators.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gerry McGovern is still lead design and they all still claim that once all models are revealed, it will all make sense. I guess we just have to wait and see. There are a lot of new models coming from Land Rover in the next 7 years.

https://www.landrover.com/explore-land-rover/unstoppable-spirit/gerry-mcgovern.html

It's hard to understand how to be optimistic about a design philosophy coming from the same folks responsible for the current generation of Land Rovers (the Evoque, Velar, RRS, longbody RR, et). The current, standard-body RR has grown on me a *bit*, but I still prefer the previous body style by a large, large margin.

I'll have to admit, I'm not entirely clear on why so many of these new models look like those awful Ford models (Explorer, Edge, etc), so any light anyone can shed on that would be appreciated. McGovern worked for Ford, yes? But did he design or guide the design of those Ford models?

All I know is that I'd pay at least twice what I've paid for either of my last two Discovery models (3 and 4) for a Disco 6 that has at least a 100-mile PHEV range and that is, design wise, true to the model's lineage.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think like our 3's and 4's, if you start looking at the individual parts in the new LR products, you will see lots of FoMoCo markings. It costs money and time to design vehicles and LR has neither. Tata, who I unfairly call a world leader in 3 wheelers, (was, not now I guess), has the money but not the expertise but fortunately Ford is willing to sell theirs.

Land Rovers "all new" Ingenium" engines are fortunately not new, and effectively tarted up Ford Vortec engines - of course denied by LR.

I go back to my comment regarding perception - the Defender must look capable - in fact all LR tagged product should look capable and for certain the Defender. The jpg's below are my perception of "appearing capable". As to if they were, well at least they looked so. As to the new stuff, well that will be in the eye of the prospective purchaser.
Defender in the fog poster normal_SV400325.jpg
Angelina Jolie Lara Croft Tomb Raider Defender WP2_2.jpg

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey so I just picked up my LR4 from the dealer for warranty work and I stopped to visit my sales guy. While any visit to the dealership is typically a painful process, he makes it tolerable. Serious off-road enthusiast and Land Rover (not JLR) loyalist. We've already exchanged thoughts on the D5 but he said he is convinced the Defender will address the pain some of us are feeling with the transition from the LR4 to the D5. He said the general manager was flown over to Portugal a few months back for the "unveiling" of the Defender and they collected everybody's phones/cameras. Apparently it doesn't look like any of the spy shots that have been circulating on the web and it will have a real frame; otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it to any government military services (kind of makes sense).

I trust him, but this is second-hand information, so take that for what it's worth. Anyway, cross your fingers, everybody.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We can only hope.

Land Rover is trying for mass appeal vehicles and that has merit as something has to support low volume specialty vehicles. Mercedes almost quit the G Wagon and if they had, that would leave Toyota as the only manufacturer of specialty off road capable highway machines.

If LR gets the Defender right, they will be able to continue to talk heritage - if not, perhaps they go the way of the rest of the English vehicle manufacturers.

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spy shots of the new Defender being tested on public roads.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-land-rover-defender-spied-testing-public-roads

Looks very LR4-esque. Could be just some camo-cladding, though.
kind of like a defender 110 and an LR4 had a baby. I certainly like it more than the teaser from a couple of years ago.. all manufactures should keep an iconic design around per the Ford Bronco and others. People love vintage looks. i expect corners to stop being rounded off and more hard lines to come back on auto design because the soft look is a bit played out.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spy shots of the new Defender being tested on public roads.

I could get behind this design. I noticed the RR-ish taillights, the swingout rear door, and the clamshell style roofline that matches the classic hood treatment on LRs. I hope they were covering up a 3rd row side window with those decals.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the article:

“Our brand is about passion, and it is icons that drive that passion. The truth is the world doesn’t need another premium brand doing what all the others do. These icons are what separate us; at Land Rover we are rooted in our heritage and that’s what makes us different.”

I feel like they sort of forgot this for oh, maybe a decade or so? I wonder if there 'passion' will get us back some 18" or smaller wheels?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The line about heritage caught my eye also when I read the article. Just hope it wasn't marketing blah-blah. Also hoping that the mule is a good indicator of body style to come.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72