Help! LR4 Stuck Deep in the Woods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BJ42 to LR4

Reaction score
Hey all! I am stuck at the end of the road in Northern Quebec, Canada, in a very remote Native community. It's an 18 hours drive from Quebec City. There ain't no official garage, but one very sympathetic fellow is fixing pick-ups. He never worked a Land Rover. I'm no Mechanic.

Few days ago I had a solid yellow check engine, rough idle, rough engine sound at all speeds, cold or warm, with vibration. OBDII scan shows : P0300 Random Misfire, P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire, P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire, P1315 Persistent Misfire Catalyst damage, P0505 Idle Air Control System, ECM Fault. Machine is a 2016 SCV6 LR4 HSE Lux with 110K miles. Always on time with oil changes.

The guy told me to order 6 Spark Plugs and 2 Ignition Coils from JLR. He says this should be enough to make the drive back to Quebec City.
Any other suggestion of parts to order?
What are your opinions and diagnosis?
What's your best guess?

Thanks for your help to get me out of the woods (forest fires are really bad this year here)!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coil failures are extremely rare.
I would guess fuel injectors are restricted.
Try running some combustion chamber cleaner through the intake. We use BG44 for this procedure. Works wonders.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any smoke / fumes out the back? I had this happen on my 2012 (minus the catalyst code) and it was an injector stuck open.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd think he is headed in the right direction. What he could do meanwhile is swap the coil and plug from bank 4 onto bank 1 and see if the missfire code changes cylinders, but it might be better to just wait and install the new parts and see if that fixes the missfires.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has spark plug wires hopefully you won't need any of those. If you did a local auto parts store should have generic kit that should work. My last car didn't have plug wires. There is a connector that butts the plug to the coil so all the coils sit directly on top of the plugs. Its pretty trick.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72