Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When will they just drop the Nav altogether and create a place for your phone and a big screen for mirroring the phone?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When will they just drop the Nav altogether and create a place for your phone and a big screen for mirroring the phone?

They could, but there's too much money in selling us crappy systems. It's ridiculous, their systems are obsolete before they make it to the showroom. I can count the times I've used my nav on one hand.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
62541843-2445045112224589-2911473888542821830-n.jpg

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call me that crazy guy but I loved the Flex (almost bought one but landed on a F150 instead) and seeing this makes me think of the Flex + LR4 which only makes me happy. I'm eagerly waiting for the full reveal.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely. I believe the same can be said about the Explorer/Discovery. If you look at some of the Ford Pick-Ups you can see LR3 or pre-face lift L322 design:

SAZW.jpg

6a00d83451b3c669e20120a594314d970b-800wi.jpg

6ab5a9c8ed0bb9e886e5190591bc87f407d8ec14-2000.jpg

Last edited:

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely. I believe the same can be said about the Explorer/Discovery. If you look at some of the Ford Pick-Ups you can see LR3 or pre-face lift L322 design:

SAZW.jpg

6a00d83451b3c669e20120a594314d970b-800wi.jpg

2008_land_rover_range_rover_hse-pic-51815-640x480.jpg

Wow. They stole the color. What a dastardly deed. There's only so many ways to design an interior while trying to appeal to 95% of the population. The non technical term is "swimming in a sea of sameness". Everyone is doing the same research and getting the same feedback from the same people and coming up with similar answers.

Look at the midsize sedan segment. You can hardly tell one brand from another. Is it a honda, and acura, a KIA, a Hyundai and Nissan, and the list goes on. Debadged I bet half the population could not accurate name the mid sized sedans from the above mentioned group. Throw Mazda in there too!

That said, I don't see a big similarity here. If not for the color and finishes (note that Manufacturers buy years supplies of this stuff) being close, the avg. person wouldn't peg these as that much alike IMHO.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
layout, orientation, placement of switches. types of switches, vents, placement of vents, glove box, area above glove box, door pulls, center arm rest, etc. there are fair amount of similarities.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So true. A couple of years ago I stopped by an AAA office and got a few paper maps that are still in my glove box. Can't trust the LR4 nav to reroute you around an unexpected road closure without going on a multi-state tour.

By comparison, the Garmin nav in our Passport is amazing, especially the 3D view.

You'd think, that, the nav system/interface would be one of those things in an LR vehicle (a mode of transportation inspired and designed from the ground up, as at least the claim is, to go where others can't and with ease) that would not only be top notch and miles ahead from the rest from which other manufacturers would draw their future ideas from, but practically unbreakable regardless of whatever the traffic conditions and unchartered terrain it would find itself in.

You'd think that a nav in an LR would be the result of exhausting and taking advantage of all currently available technologies, taking advantage of cell towers, satellites, live data streams, bluetooth, etc, etc, to always bring up on the interface thee most accurate, up to date, and absolutely the best guidance options possible, regardless of what time and where you find yourself in.

You'd think that the whole idea of "explore" whats out there and that good ol but now absolutely irrelevant "Above & Beyond" slogan would be at least some source of inspiration in some minute fashion at the Ford-Inspired R&D/Design center over at LR, but too bad, the staff is super busy engineering and designing that next generation of 25 inch rims with half an inch of sidewall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72