Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they stopped selling it in the US in 1997... hard to move units when the vehicle isn't available in that region and when it was it was poorly marketed. if you didn't visit the showroom you probably didn't even know it was available.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they stopped selling it in the US in 1997... hard to move units when the vehicle isn't available in that region and when it was it was poorly marketed. if you didn't visit the showroom you probably didn't even know it was available.

I think in the U.S. the Defender became more well known after it left than it was when it was here. Like a movie that bombs at the box office but then gets hugely popular afterwards.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be really interesting to see how this thing will be received in the marketplace.

Odds are it’ll be fine especially relative to D5... which I’m sure they’ll be canceling in a couple of years...

I’m just having a hard time with this Disney Defender!

The G wagon and Rubicon look like they mean business. This over “fisher priced” off roader, not so much....
The front end is just plain WRONG! The rest I can dig. Perhaps a bit soft, and the square on the 90 is utterly STUPID but at least it’s optional..

LR will hopefully be listening and there will be a facelift, most likely being designed now or soon. And without a doubt they’ve got to get more a more masculine assertive truck like front end!!!

That and a taller tire might just fix it!!!

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all of the engineered accessories for the Defender, I don't expect a facelift that would change the essence of the front end anytime soon. I would look to the aftermarket companies to fill that void. ARB, please save us with a piece that takes away that animated face look of the front end!

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed the MPG ratings, these seem better than I would have expected (if they pan out):

At launch, diesel power comes from a choice of four-cylinder D200 or D240 engines, with sequential twin turbo technology providing 430Nm of torque to optimise performance and economy. The D200 delivers fuel economy of 37.2mpg (7.6 l/100km) and 0-100km/h in 10.3 seconds (0-60mph in 9.9 seconds) while the more powerful D240 matches the 200PS for efficiency while accelerating from 0-100km/h in 9.1 seconds (0-60mph in 8.7 seconds). Both provide competitive CO2 emissions of 199g/km (NEDC equivalent).º

Petrol customers will be able to choose between a turbocharged four-cylinder P300 engine and an efficient six-cylinder P400 MHEV powertrain. The 300HP unit uses an advanced twin-scroll turbo for smooth performance and efficiency, accelerating from 0-100km/h in 8.1 seconds (0-60mph in 7.7 seconds) with CO2 emissions as low as 227g/km (NEDC equivalent).º

The state-of-the-art MHEV powertrain harvests energy normally lost during deceleration and redeploys it to optimise efficiency. The in-line six-cylinder Ingenium petrol features both a conventional twin-scroll turbocharger and an advanced 48-volt electric supercharger, with a belt-integrated starter motor in place of the alternator to assist the petrol engine, and a 48-volt lithium-ion battery to store energy captured as the vehicle slows down. In combination, these advanced technologies provide 400HP and 550Nm of torque, 0-100km/h in 6.4 seconds (0-60mph in 6.1 seconds) and fuel consumption as low as 29.4mpg (9.6l/100km) with CO2 emissions of 220g/km (NEDC equivalent).º​

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing those are imperial gallons....

(Still much better than the LR4 of course)

Just noticed the MPG ratings, these seem better than I would have expected (if they pan out):

At launch, diesel power comes from a choice of four-cylinder D200 or D240 engines, with sequential twin turbo technology providing 430Nm of torque to optimise performance and economy. The D200 delivers fuel economy of 37.2mpg (7.6 l/100km) and 0-100km/h in 10.3 seconds (0-60mph in 9.9 seconds) while the more powerful D240 matches the 200PS for efficiency while accelerating from 0-100km/h in 9.1 seconds (0-60mph in 8.7 seconds). Both provide competitive CO2 emissions of 199g/km (NEDC equivalent).º

Petrol customers will be able to choose between a turbocharged four-cylinder P300 engine and an efficient six-cylinder P400 MHEV powertrain. The 300HP unit uses an advanced twin-scroll turbo for smooth performance and efficiency, accelerating from 0-100km/h in 8.1 seconds (0-60mph in 7.7 seconds) with CO2 emissions as low as 227g/km (NEDC equivalent).º

The state-of-the-art MHEV powertrain harvests energy normally lost during deceleration and redeploys it to optimise efficiency. The in-line six-cylinder Ingenium petrol features both a conventional twin-scroll turbocharger and an advanced 48-volt electric supercharger, with a belt-integrated starter motor in place of the alternator to assist the petrol engine, and a 48-volt lithium-ion battery to store energy captured as the vehicle slows down. In combination, these advanced technologies provide 400HP and 550Nm of torque, 0-100km/h in 6.4 seconds (0-60mph in 6.1 seconds) and fuel consumption as low as 29.4mpg (9.6l/100km) with CO2 emissions of 220g/km (NEDC equivalent).º​

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2020-land-rover-defender-50-facts-figures

Land Rover apparently designed a metal "roo" bar for the Australian market. Not sure if it will make it here or not. I'm curious if it just replaces the silver portion on the lower front end with a metal version.

Five more colors will come after launch. I'm hoping at least a few of those are non-metallic. That said, I'm currently digging the green with a white roof.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score

29.4mpg is a lot better than the 12.2 I'm getting in LR4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV