another disco 1 cruise question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey zingale

Reaction score
I have a 97 discovery with 105K on it.
The speedo works sometimes and sometimes not, I have been told that it is the vehicle speed sensor (VSS). Along with this problem, my cruise dose not work. I have checked the vacume lines, they were cracked and disconected from the modual in the front. I have since replaced or repaired lines and connected to the modual in the front. The break switch seems to be ok. The cruise switch lights up on the dash but that is about the only part of the system i can tell works
My question is, will the cruise not work if the VSS is faulty?
Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say no it will not work if the VSS is faulty, but I have been wrong before.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems logical, as your cruise needs to know the speed so it can maintain it

luck,greg

joey zingale

Reaction score
cruise issue & vss

seems logical, as your cruise needs to know the speed so it can maintain it

luck,greg

yea that is what i was thinking.
But then the tach gets it input from the alt.
With my experience with these, which is limited, the Land Rover engineers are a diffrent bunch of coconuts.
I will deal with one thing at a time and hope I catch a break. Get me speedo working correctly and I may have cruise to boot.
Thanks you guys and gals for the input!
For what its worth
I still Love my Rover!!

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troubleshooting test for the cruise cntrl should be in the site. I know I have listed them step by step for someone else before. One of the test is to lift left rear tire off the ground and keeping right rear tire on ground check for a pulse square wave at the harness to the cruise ecu. I know i've troubleshot mine down to the ecu bought a used one the lasted a week and died. The ecu and of course rotted vacuum line and such seem to be the problem. I need to get my ecu rebuilt. Tired of junkyard parts that do not work. Unfortunatley no new ecu available. Oh and did I forget to say others have had trouble with the diaphram and pump neither a problem with my discovery.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM