Any concerns when looking for used LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMacIV

Reaction score
Hey folks,

First post on the forums. I am looking at buying a used LR4, probably 2010-2012.

I recently moved to Atlanta from San Antonio and live in a very urban part of town. I currently have a 2014 RAM 1500 and its a solid 3' longer than the LR4 and a few inches taller too (I'm tired of having to check every parking deck clearance and find a place to park this boat.) And I don't necessarily need the truck bed any more. So I've decided that it is time for a change to something a little smaller... Granted, the LR4 isn't that much smaller, but those size differences do help a lot.

With that being said, are there any major concerns I should look for when looking at LR4s?

Are any of the major components known to fail? If so, around what mileage?

Also, how is the overall reliability on these bad boys? I will probably be looking in the 50-70k mileage range.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I appreciate it.

John

JMacIV

Reaction score
Bushings 34k, breaks 12-15k and for me that's pretty much it.

Ivan,

Thanks for the reply. How many miles are you at now?

I spoke to the LR dealer near me and they strongly suggest getting it checked out by one of their techs, however, the vehicles I am looking at are at a used lot about 30 miles away... So that isn't a good option.

Would y'all strongly suggest getting an LR tech to check it out? Or just find a local mechanic that deals with LRs?

Thanks,
John

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely have someone knowledgeable check it.
Actually I would not buy one unless it has a warranty (CPO or other covering everything).

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is out of warranty you need a indie mechanic unless you dont mind taking a load out just for a oil change at the dealership. In 2010 models and some 2011 you might get the old version of the air pump which is know to crap out early.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 HSE that I bought pre-owned with 30K miles on it. Got it in March 2014 and it just turned 55K miles. Looking at service records prior to my purchase it had routine maintenance and water pump replacement. Pretty sure it also had a windshield replacement. Since purchase I had minor warranty items addressed including hood latch replacement and a new rubber cowling at the base of the exterior windshield that was warping. I had the latch mechanism on the 3rd row seats repaired and the dealer tested and replaced the battery also under warranty.

I had my indy shop give it the once over as I approached the end of my warranty and they gave it 5 stars.

Wear items include new tires, front and rear wiper blades, and front brakes so far. No issues with bushings, electronics, leaks or any of the typical stuff that hearkens back to earlier Landy models. I have not had any differential nor induction service yet although my indy shop recommends the latter soon as a best practice.

Based on detailed tips/video on this forum I got the shop gear required to do my own oil changes and do them every 7500 miles. This cuts dealership charge in half (to about $100 in oil/filter expense for DIY...plus a couple of cold ones but I amortize that cost elsewhere in my household budget).

I have kept it stock so far except for OEM rubber mats throughout including cargo area...oh and a couple of rear window decals: US flag and Auburn University logo (War Eagle). Soon to add Northeastern University where my son just committed! (Go Huskies).

If I were buying an LR4 out of warranty I would want it checked over by an experienced LR mechanic. But I can say that so far my owner experience has been outstanding. Love this vehicle. Good luck and keep us posted! --Chris

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to say the same. I bought my 2010 lr4 cpo with 24k miles. it was in the shop numerous times the first 4 months I owned it. They replaced bushings, steering wheel, steering gear, air compressor to new amk, door handles, battery, water pump, serpentine belt, and maybe other minor things. After that it has been a solid vehicle. It looks as if 2012 models addressed most of those issues. If considering a 10-11 model make sure you look at prior service records.

JMacIV

Reaction score
These things have been good to hear. Thank you everyone for your replies. Sounds like I will definitely be looking more heavily into finding a 2012 in my price range. I know they also updated the infotainment system in 2012, didn't realize they worked out some of the mechanical bugs then too.

Thanks guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM