Any LR4 thefts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the SO is concerned about her new baby (to be) being stolen and whisked across the border here in Hell Paso.
Most new-vehicle thefts here are done with a tow truck. I know from my Touareg forums how folks have to oil up the tires in order to drag the vehicle out of tight spots. Just how secure is the LR? What is that "perimeter" protection? Anyone been ripped off?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get good insurance and you'll be fine no matter what happens. I used to be worried about car theft being from Europe... I'm in Albuquerque for now after years in Boston and then moving to NYC. Unlike nicer area ABQ is known to leave high end vehicles alone as they couldn't resell them. Not sure about El Paso but I doubt the LR4wouldbe the main target of thieves when they can get RR or RRS or G Wagen...

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If theives want your car, they are gonna get it. Just get good insurance.

#1 Get GAP insurance
#2 Make your your policy has NEW car replacement (equity protection) of some kind. That way you dont take it in the shorts due to depreciation. This is very important especially if you dont have GAP.

If you have GAP then new car replacement coverage will be icing on the cake.

Thats all you can do.

Last edited:

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AxelR, i hope you are right. Many a high end truck ends up on a ranch somewhere down in Mexico. They order them specially.
Much to my surprise the two LR4's our unfinshed new dealership got last week are already sold. They have four buyers for the one we demoed yesterday!

Ramajama, not familiar w/GAP except short for German Auto Parts. Will Google.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you're not familiar with GAP insurance. Lol

I have it on all of my vehicles including my boat. It's a very common add on at the time of purchase. Your dealership or financial institution will have GAP policies available for purchase.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAP_Insurance

I also can't stress enough how important to have some kind of equity protection or new car replacement policy on your auto insurance. As far as I know, these types of policies are fairly new and not all ins companies offer it yet. Ask your company. If they don't offer it then it's time to change insurance companies.

Here's what I found with a quick search.
http://www.ameriprise.com/auto-home...new-car-replacement-coverage-gap-coverage.asp

In the above link, the new car protection only covers the first year or 15 k miles. So that particular ins company sucks. I have country financial insurance and my new car replacement is good for the first 4 years of the model insured. Then it drops off. When purchasing a new vehicle, most people should have their cars paid down to an equity position by the end of the 3rd or 4rth year. It's the first 3 or 4 years that most people stay underwater. So it's important to have that time frame covered.
I would at the very least check it out

If you have those coverages you can feel assured that you will be more than adequately covered if some dirty, stinking, thieving bastards steal the hard earned fruits of your labor.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, dumb question but...
Suppose one paid cash. Then what.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then good luck ;)
Just get insurance with good coverage as mentioned above. Maybe you can find one of those policies ramajama is talking about.
Gap is used to cover the difference between your car value and the loan amount.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, dumb question but...
Suppose one paid cash. Then what.

Yep, if you paid cash, then you don't need GAP insurance. It's real only good if you finance all or most of the purchase price.
Just get the best car insurance coverage that you can find. Or put a GPS tracking device in your LR4 so it can be tracked if it gets stolen. If you're on it fast enough, the police should be able to get to it quickly.....if they have the time and resources....

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only picture them trying to recover it from a gang of drug dealers and car thieves in Mexico!!!
Just stop worrying and enjoy it as you should. Life is life ;)

ivan gonzalez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been living in Tijuana for a 9 months with my 2011 LR4 and it does turn heads. No thefts to report, or car jackings hell they get out of my way most of the time even the cops pay more attention I guess they wonder if its the boss in the car or someone else they need to worry about.
I'm more scared of a idiot that might rear end me and not have they money to even cover the 1000+ bumper.
Its also hard for them to find somewhere to service and get parts for these cars since there 2 land rover dealerships in mexico.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM