Anyone own a Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We traded in my wife's Ram 1500 a few years ago and she still misses it. I'm thinking that a power wagon may be a logical replacement with some of its off-road goodies (albeit much larger size).

Does anyone have any personal experience with power wagons? Likes, dislikes, regrets, etc?

Thank you!

clm7214

Reaction score
I’ve had all the recent versions of the Power Wagon. Definitely get the newer model with the larger engine and coils all around. I used them the to get to communications sites in the mountains. Off road, they cannot be be beat but they are very large. Heavy too, but lighter than a diesel. They do not like to tow heavy at all. I blew up two transfer cases and had a few engine sensor failures. Melted the cats on a 5.7 pulling a very heavy snow cat on the highway (could only manage 55 mph, got 6 mpg). Your winch cable will pull off of the drum on the first real use. Have a shop attach it more securely. I’d say that’s more due to the unusually hard daily 4x4 use. We had places we could only get to in HMMWV’s and now we cruise right up in the Power Wagons.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all that and MPG. you will be lucky to get 11 or 12mpg if you drive it normal. If you put 35" or 37" tires on it you will be under 10mpg.
big truck that is not as good off-road as a raptor, is heavier, gets worse mpg, more truck like ride, and only has 200lbs more payload capacity which effectively limits is towing (despite having a higher tow rating in the 9k lbs range). It's a cool looking truck, but few people can justify it logically over other offerings. It will go off-road quite well, but watch TFL for their numerous power wagon don't care videos comparing it against the raptor and the rebel. basically, raptor wins off-road, rebel wins for best of both worlds, and power wagon is cool, but no one wants to take one home at the end of the day because of the size, weight, MPG, and basically not being that great at either towing (for a 3/4 ton) or off-roading, compared to 1/2 ton trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM