At what gas price will you sell your LR3?

At what gas price will you look to sell your LR3?

• $3.50 (its there now, folks)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $4.00

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • $5.00

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • $6.00

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • $8.00

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • $10.00

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I'll keep it at any price, but may use it less.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • No price will change my use.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I'll sell when there is a new "LR3" with superior gas mileage.

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very happy with my LR3 and consider 20mpg highway to be pretty good for a vehicle of this size and weight. Still, as gas prices continue to rise the price we pay at the pump to fill these trucks up with high octane gas will become more of a burden.

For me, the price difference between regular and super isn't the issue. If you compute the excess you pay per year, it is a tolerable amount for a well behaved vehicle. However, as the general gas prices rise, more and more I'm starting to factor in that this 2 hour drive to the local ski hill is costing me $25 in gas, and that trip down to beach and back is costing me $200. It adds up and cuts into the cost of having fun.

That said, most of us on here love our LR3s but may be keeping our eyes out for better MPG SUV options when and if they are available.

So the question is,

At what gas price will you look to sell your LR3?

(for the techies, I'm talking price per gallon of whatever grade gas you use from your local station)

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post. I chose "I'll keep it at any price, but may use it less". My wife loves it. It is unbelievably safe (and safe feeling - my TT is incredibly safe too, but I know what car I'd rather get T-***** in). It can hold a ton of stuff. It is relatively reliable. It is great around town. It is great off road. They are pretty rare. And it gets better gas mileage than our V8 Touareg did.

Having said that, we don't drive it much today, so gas really hasn't hit me yet. If we drove 25k miles a year, I'd probably feel it more. But that is why we'd probably keep it, but just dial back how often we drive it.

And I'd love a diesel LR3 - assuming the extra gas mileage makes up for the cost difference between diesel and premium today (about 50cents, or 15%, today).

-Rich

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my LR3 too much. That's why I have a Prius hybrid to ride around in for all the other non-off road chores. I now only use my LR3 during the Summer and weekends.

Vince.

2008 LR3 HSE
2006 Toyota Prius Touring Edition
2001 Suburban
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL

Last edited:

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the hybrid debate :biggrin: Not to hijack this thread (it is really more tangential than totally hijacked), but hybrids are a mixed bag for me. At first glance, they certainly seem better for the environment, and they clearly reduce our dependance on foreign oil. But I believe there are a number of studies around the amount of energy that is required to charge them and how that compares to gas (not always favorably). Plus the eventual need to dispose of the batteries (and how long do they last? We all know batteries in our cell phones and laptops are only good for so long - they are currently using similar technology). I've also heard arguments around the mileage figures not really adding up.

Would a diesel in a lighter weight car be a better solution (look at VW's Rabbit TDI - I believe it gets 50+ mpg on the highway)? Or perhaps fuel cells?

Having said all that, Csaba Csere (from Car & Driver) had a really interesting column in this month's C&D:

article.jpg

Makes me want a hybrid :biggrin:

-Rich

BTW - sorry for the crappy photo of the article. I was too lazy to go upstairs and scan it in.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap gas is going up fast!!! I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but when I posted this thread back at the end of March I had no idea that $5 a gallon for 92 octane would be so close.

I just paid $45 to put 10 gallons in my tank....$45! That's not even half full.

F*&k!

I love the LR3 but may have to start thinking about buying a high MPG beater to keep around for day to day driving and just keep the rover for the weekend trips. When $100 fill-ups become the norm that is going to really hit home. Maybe I'll just have to buy a smaller tank. :)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I just thought I would post into this, since I get on the average less than what you all get on your LR3's...

15 - 20 mpg on a good day with low or no ethanol.

but I did post in the don't care about gas prices I still drive it the same.

Come on the difference for the average driver between 20 and 30 mpg is less than $60 a month... if it makes that much of a difference, then you need more than a hybrid that will cost you $6000 for batteries every few years... hmmm that just about evens out the fuel savings.

Plus you don't get to enjoy what you drive. At least I can say I drive what I like... still looking for my next sports car that gets 12 - 15 mpg... I should get it cheaper in another year or so when everyone thinks they need to sell them... woo hoo fun is on the way.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will probably keep mine also, but drive less as the poll goes. my mileage hovers between 11-14MPG no matter how i drive. the first 3000 miles of driving netted me about 15-18MPG but those days are long and gone. i make it a point to accelerate more slowly than before which adds an extra 20-30 miles per tank but nothing substantial. when the regular maintenance is over i will run full synthetic and switch all fluids to royal purplt. that has helped a little in the past, hopefully does the same here.

polar

Reaction score
I have a Discovery ll, not a LR3 but I will keep it for at least the next 10 years.

I just purchased this LR and my previous Mitsubishi Montero only saw 28K miles in the past 8 years.My daily driver/off roader. So as you can see I do not drive vary much and live 10 mins from work.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll keep mine...

Resale value will be pretty dismal with $4-5 gas and dealer lots full of Suburbans and Expeditions :rolleyes: Might as well keep it for when you need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo