auto lock when key is away from the car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i cld have sworn my 2013 LUX used to lock itself when i walked away from the car with the key. as long as the key was around the car it wld stay unlocked. now when i walk away from the car it wont lock unless i hit the button on the key fob. am i crazy?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i cld have sworn my 2013 LUX used to lock itself when i walked away from the car with the key. as long as the key was around the car it wld stay unlocked. now when i walk away from the car it wont lock unless i hit the button on the key fob. am i crazy?

I think (to use your words) you're crazy. :)

I have a 2013 HSE which is not LUX but I have never heard of this feature on any trim level. Anyone else?

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either my 13 or 2011 definitely did it. Id constantly yell at my wife for bringing the key in the house and subsequently the car was always locked.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you unlock the car but do not open a door, the car automatically re-locks after a minute or so. Is that what you are thinking?

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you unlock the car but do not open a door, the car automatically re-locks after a minute or so. Is that what you are thinking?
No. Mine does this. What im describing is the inverse of approaching the car when locked. As i walk to my locked car i just pull on the handle and it’s unlocked. When i walked away from the car with key fob in hand it wld lock on its own once the fob was far enough away from the car.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Mine does this. What im describing is the inverse of approaching the car when locked. As i walk to my locked car i just pull on the handle and it’s unlocked. When i walked away from the car with key fob in hand it wld lock on its own once the fob was far enough away from the car.
The only time it does this is if you approach a locked LR4 with a key in your pocket and only open the rear hatch. Then it opens for you. Let's you do whatever you want. It then re-locks the car when you close the rear hatch. You'll see the lights flash. It of course does NOT do this if you happen to drop your keys inside the rear hatch... then the horn ***** when you close the hatch.

Having said that, my 2013 used to do some really weird things with regards to the key (I could drive away without a key as long as I unlocked it with a button push on the remote, but left the key hanging in my garage.) It did some other wacky stuff as well. I had the EVM (?) firmware update this Spring and all of that behavior went away. So, there could definitely be idiosyncrasies with your car that everyone doesn't experience. I've lived them! :)

Walt Niehoff

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4, recently while dropping my daughter off at work, (when she mistakenly picked up my key ring with remote attached as she left the car), I then drove to my office 5 miles away and left the running LR with the valet service. They then parked it and shut it off. I came down a few hours later and couldn't find my key ring, which obviously meant I couldn't start the vehicle. I was able to track down my daughter who found she had the keys. I had to Uber over and pick them up. This was a minor inconvenience, however If I would have driven 100 miles away, stopped at a gas station and shut the car off, that could be a more serious situation. Is this usual? If I have the EVM firmware would it prevent this and/or give you a warning beep as you attempted to drive away?

Thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4, recently while dropping my daughter off at work, (when she mistakenly picked up my key ring with remote attached as she left the car), I then drove to my office 5 miles away and left the running LR with the valet service. They then parked it and shut it off. I came down a few hours later and couldn't find my key ring, which obviously meant I couldn't start the vehicle. I was able to track down my daughter who found she had the keys. I had to Uber over and pick them up. This was a minor inconvenience, however If I would have driven 100 miles away, stopped at a gas station and shut the car off, that could be a more serious situation. Is this usual? If I have the EVM firmware would it prevent this and/or give you a warning beep as you attempted to drive away?

Thanks!

Yeah, it's the way it works. The intent is to not have the vehicle die if the battery in the keyfob dies. Asking the LR4 to continuously check for the presence of the keyfob would **** the battery in the keyfob pretty quickly.

That said, my wife's volvo emits a really annoying alarm if the keyfob leaves the interior of the car. So there's probably a balance somewhere.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 will immediately pop a big "!" triangle and a "Smart Key Not Found - Refer to Handbook" message up in the instrument cluster if I start the car and then get out of it with the engine idling and the fob in my pocket. The message extinguishes after a few seconds, but the red warning triangle on the upper right corner of the info display stays on until/unless the key moves back into the car (with or without me.) It would be hard to ignore that triangle were I to drive away without the fob - is that not how yours behaves?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9