Auxiliary chain and sprocket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Thanks a load Rover, still preparing to tackle this operation. Looks like another turn of the year for this LR4 rehab project to be completed.

Catch up after the Holidays!
Happy Christmas to U all!

Thepuckstopshere

Reaction score
Rover, Rover, this is John Paul... in harms way
Santa is all done shopping here so, got a little time and began the auxiliary chain replacement chapter.
I have removed the tension-er bolt and tension-er, have loosened the oil sprocket bolt until it has touched the inside of the sump.
Now, looking at the clearance around the fuel sprocket, wondering if the chain will indeed clear enough to be able to remove the chain. Or does/can the fuel sprocket be removed?

Thepuckstopshere

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rover, Rover, this is John Paul... in harms way
Santa is all done shopping here so, got a little time and began the auxiliary chain replacement chapter.
I have removed the tension-er bolt and tension-er, have loosened the oil sprocket bolt until it has touched the inside of the sump.
Now, looking at the clearance around the fuel sprocket, wondering if the chain will indeed clear enough to be able to remove the chain. Or does/can the fuel sprocket be removed?

Thepuckstopshere
Any reason why you are removing the chain?

Reaction score
Well, it came with the 2 timing chains and tension-er. Unfortunately I turned the crankshaft left instead of right briefly and the chain has skipped a few teeth on the fuel sprocket, and the marks on the existing chain do not line up now with the crankshaft marks.

Happy Christmas!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it came with the 2 timing chains and tension-er. Unfortunately I turned the crankshaft left instead of right briefly and the chain has skipped a few teeth on the fuel sprocket, and the marks on the existing chain do not line up now with the crankshaft marks.

Happy Christmas!
With the tensioner spring loose. Take a small screwdriver and lift the chain over and around on the sprocket to where the alignment marks are.

Reaction score
Did U say Attack Plan R? Hopefully being in there tomorrow, might be 50 round here, gonna also try shimming the whole chain off towards the front, outside of the sprocket. Considering cutting the oil pump bolt to swap out that sprocket.

Merry New Year!

Reaction score
Happy New Year:

I cut the oil pump bolt for the sprocket and removed the sprocket and bolt, that chain aint coming off without opening that chain so, looking at the new chain and notice besides the two links marked for the crank and fuel sprockets there is an obvious black link. Thinking of opening and replacing the chain and being done with it. The tool,

Land Rover Jaguar 5.0 3.0 Fuel Pump Camshaft Aligner Alignment Timing Tool Kit | eBay

is for supercharged engines only, I was wondering why the &^%$ I could not apply it.

Onward thru the fog!

Thepuckstopshere

sdtim

Reaction score
Cool.
Just put some rags in the oil pan, in case you drop something.

Also, you can shorten the torx bolt a couple mm to make reassembly easier.
You would also need the tool to reset the fuel pump drive timing.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I discovered that my aux chain was loose while doing the timing chains. I almost set the truck on fire when I read the oil pan had to be removed. I managed to remove the tensioner with a little creative tooling.

I have the crankshaft & cams locked, and the old parts removed.

How did you deal with re-timing the fuel pump? I've been scouring the internet and repair manual, but everything is based on the oil pan being removed. I have the timing tool, but it's not apparent how I line up the timing marks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA