Avoid the 2010 LR4!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NaraBronzeLR4

Reaction score
I understand the OP's gripes and I would be ****** too,but it sounds like he got a lemon. The dealership seems to be taking all steps possible. I agree with others on here about contacting corporate (in NJ if you are in the US) and talk to them.

I sent them a letter back in February when I bought my LR4 about a horrible experience buying my car from a dealer in NJ, which I ultimately canceled and bought from Princeton. Anyway, they called me up about two weeks later to follow up and I told them the entire story that is was just one person that made me cancel my order. They were very helpful and wrote everything down.

Since you are having issues with the physical car, it wouldn't surprise me if they took this very seriously. It seems that the new owners are stepping up the customer service to counter all of the negative perception out there.

My experience has been great with mine with no issues, except a CD player that won't load a disc (I called the dealer and they'll check it out when I get around to bringing it in for the first service since I only use an ipod). Also, I have almost 6k miles on it and changed the oil this past weekend and refueled the beast with royal purple because I don't trust factory oil. Took a whole 15 minutes with the vacuum fluid extractor (13 minutes pouring 8.5 quarts back in).
How did you change the oil yourself? Do you have your own vacuum fluid extractor? Where do you get one of those and how much? Or did you just bring your own oil along to the dealer and "trust" that they put it in for you?

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lr$

Well, 15k plus miles and my exp has been great. Second oil change today, a freebee at 15k.....this vehicles has been great.

Disappointing to hear the story that started this thread. I do have a bit of a problem believing that you traded in the vehicle for another though, it just doesn't add up. I'm not sure if you have lemon laws in your state, but i have to beleive that LR would have done more to help you had you contacted the right people.

On another note, who was the "bad" NJ dealer? just curious, from nj.

zgaspen

Reaction score
Well, I can understand the dealer being willing to buy the vehicle back, but i wonder if they also knew the replacement GX 460 would be withdrawn from the market and recalled too? I'm really sorry to hear about this guy's luck... That car was an early contended for me, too, but then I realized the size difference and actually drove the truck. I'm not really a "Lexus Guy" and the LR4 was clearly my choice......but then again, this weekend, after looking at nearly ever truck and luxury crossover on the market, I finally settled and ordered a 2011 BMW X5 35d. Sure, you can't compare ability and utility to the LR4, so I'll have to make sacrifices there, but the 425 lbs of torque, efficiency and luxury is certainly insane. The amount of options are a bit sickening as price stacks up (thankfully seriously nice incentives right now through 4/30/2010), but for as much as I drive many days, this is a car I am very excited to receive. Had my LR dealer been a bit more proactive in getting me in a loaner for a weekend or overnight, I may have purchased the LR4. But then again, that could have backfired like it did in 2007 with a new RRS. The Acura MDX Sport was clearly the better car and the RRS was quickly returned.

I will return to LR in 2013 if they can get the Diesels together for US shores or improve effeciency. I was completely impressed with the power and speed of the X5d. Improvements on their iDrive system also quite impressive and possibly nicer even than the new system featured in the 2010 Acuras.

marcoVU

Reaction score
How did you change the oil yourself? Do you have your own vacuum fluid extractor? Where do you get one of those and how much? Or did you just bring your own oil along to the dealer and "trust" that they put it in for you?

I changed the oil myself with the mityvac fluid extractor 7201 ($75 on amazon). I was worried about finding something to attach to the tube that Land Rover has in the engine to extract the oil, but the main tube that comes with the mityvac fit right over it. I put the mityvac tube about 2-3" covering the extraction point for the engine and pumped. Quick and no drippage at all. The only slightly spilled oil was when changing the oil filter ($40 from atlantic british), but it was only a few drops. To get the oil filter canister open, I used an adjustable oil filter wrench from craftsman (has three prongs and work beautifully).

My last car was a BMW and that taught me to never trust the stealership for just an oil change. If I do it myself, I KNOW it was done properly and I can do it on my own time in less time.

On another note, who was the "bad" NJ dealer? just curious, from nj.

The "bad" dealer was Land Rover of Cherry Hill. I must say though that the sales staff was great and I don't know about service yet since I haven't needed any yet. What made them bad was an experience I had with a person who is associated with their auto group at the Philadelphia Auto Show. Long story, but I don't ever want to deal with a company that employees someone like that *******. I must say though, that the salesman there is a great guy and I still feel bad for not giving him the sale. I let corporate know that too.

eggs

Reaction score
The "bad" dealer was Land Rover of Cherry Hill. I must say though that the sales staff was great and I don't know about service yet since I haven't needed any yet. What made them bad was an experience I had with a person who is associated with their auto group at the Philadelphia Auto Show. Long story, but I don't ever want to deal with a company that employees someone like that *******. I must say though, that the salesman there is a great guy and I still feel bad for not giving him the sale. I let corporate know that too.

Interesting to hear about Cherry Hill Land Rover as my experience with them after buying three vehicles from them has been outstanding. Pierre is a great guy as is Jack my sales person.

But I know that this place is owned by the same guy that owns the MB dealer and the Volvo dealership in Cherry Hill so no telling who you might have run into at the auto show.

marcoVU

Reaction score
Interesting to hear about Cherry Hill Land Rover as my experience with them after buying three vehicles from them has been outstanding. Pierre is a great guy as is Jack my sales person.

But I know that this place is owned by the same guy that owns the MB dealer and the Volvo dealership in Cherry Hill so no telling who you might have run into at the auto show.

I agree about Pierre and the sales staff (Brad was who I was going through). The guy at the auto show may have been from the Audi / Porsche dealership. Total d-bag too. I bought a car that was on display at the show, which is not a problem. I went to the show to see it and people were all in it, jumping around, kicking seats and all sorts of stuff. I spoke to someone there about it and she called Pierre to confirm and they locked it up. No issue there. As my brother was walking by, one of the guys there (employee of that group) was complaining about me. He said something to the effect that I should have know people were going to be in it and kicking it around, I was being ******, it's not a big deal and that it's not like it's a Porsche or something. Well when I heard this, I calmly left and spoke to the dealership a day or two later to cancel.

It's not the people in it bouncing around that bothered me because I know that stuff can be fixed and sured up with some extra warranty. It was this smug d-bag that worked for the group. The dealership seems great, but who says that? You wait until you see me leave at least (I was about 50 feet away, but my brother was looking at the Audis or Porches or whatever). If it was his car, he'd be upset too. I just hate people like that.

Land Rover got my customer survey (with added page that went into this incident in extreme detail), they called and were quite concerned. I told them that the place was great, Pierre and Brad too. I'm sure they figured everything out and took care of it.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems obvious to me that those who expect perfection haven't owned a Land Rover before, or have fallen prey to the unrealistic expectations of owning an expensive vehicle. Look, you aren't paying for perfection, so get over it. You are paying for capabilities offroad that are not standard in other vehicles. Yes, occasionally a bad apple comes out of the factory. And space shuttles blow up on launch and entry. I know it is frustrating when you expect your vehicle to run, when you need it. My LR3 has 102,000 miles, and yes it has been to the shop a lot over the past 5 years. But it has also taken me places that people only dream about. So accept the fact that there are issues, that it will need regular service to keep in top shape, and enjoy it for what it was originally built for.

Sorry you have had a bad experience, but with a good spirit with your dealer, you will get a lot accomplished. Mine bends over backward for me, but it takes patience, and a willingness to get to know the GM, the Service Manager, and even get to know some of the techs. :biggrin:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Also, I have almost 6k miles on it and changed the oil this past weekend and refueled the beast with royal purple because I don't trust factory oil. Took a whole 15 minutes with the vacuum fluid extractor (13 minutes pouring 8.5 quarts back in).

so, it's no big deal to change the oil yourself then? I have heard elsewhere the suction device is not too much $, maybe $100 or so? Where is the oil filter? Does this process allow you to change the oil without raising the vehicle or going under it?

That would be sort of nice actually.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV