Back in Action! Seized Engine Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a timing chain done by my friend. New tensioners, chain, water pump, injectors, spark plugs, radiator, and starter. It still seems loud, like the chain is slapping. I know he put the new guides on. Any ideas?
These engines are pretty loud in general. Could it be your fan clutch ticking away?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could go in through the oil filler hole with a right angle pick or the like and just see if the chain is tight. Should be real tight- I’ve seen it described as tight like a guitar string if that helps. Pretty unscientific method - but if it’s loose, you for sure have a problem. If it’s tight - doesn’t necessarily mean no problem.

If you have a mechanics stethoscope, you could try to narrow it down - chains should be very loud on the timing chain cover. I like the scopes with the little cone as well as the rod - the cone lets you just point at different areas of the engine and sometimes helps narrow down the areas a little easier.

Not sure how long you’ve had the car, but you probably know the hp fuel pumps are pretty loud. If you have the supercharged model, the sc snout coupler can go bad and cause some noise as well.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine done at the end of my CPO warranty at my my dealer. Went in with the "symptoms" I read about on here. "Sounds like a diesel at times." "Clattering sound taking off from a stop." Etc.

But to be honest, I didn't really know if it needed the chains or not. It was a hail mary with my warranty about to expire.

Around 3 or 4 days later, got my LR4 back. To be honest, it sounded about the same to me as it did when I took it in. Haha.

Paul Teague

Reaction score
These engines are pretty loud in general. Could it be your fan clutch ticking away?
Possibly>. I hear it more at lower speeds. The engine has plenty of power, so I feel that if it was the chain, that it would have broken by now. I just drove it 500 highway miles without any problems. Just loud when I start it and take off

Paul Teague

Reaction score
I had mine done at the end of my CPO warranty at my my dealer. Went in with the "symptoms" I read about on here. "Sounds like a diesel at times." "Clattering sound taking off from a stop." Etc.

But to be honest, I didn't really know if it needed the chains or not. It was a hail mary with my warranty about to expire.

Around 3 or 4 days later, got my LR4 back. To be honest, it sounded about the same to me as it did when I took it in. Haha.
Yes . Diesel it what it sounds like.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have ya'll heard a bad timing chain in person?

I would not describe it as "diesel", but more of a rythmic "thunk, thunk, thunk,". Now that I have heard one, I would not mistake any other sound for it. My LR tech had me come listen to a RRS that he was about to tear into to replace them. He knew to call me because I had brought up the issue at a previous visit.

I get the "diesel" description. Mine puts out a similar sound, but it is not the chains. Had those done less than 1,000 miles ago. These things are noisy. Among other items, you have injectors, HPFP and fan clutch that can all raise a ruckus.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that the replacement engine runs MUCH quieter with new injectors than the old one. The chains were not replaced on it. I'd venture to guess as the injectors wear or get gunked up, they get louder.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that the replacement engine runs MUCH quieter with new injectors than the old one. The chains were not replaced on it. I'd venture to guess as the injectors wear or get gunked up, they get louder.
Are you able to share the engine source?

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA