Bad to Worse - Radio/NAV dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darthRover

Reaction score
What started as a an attempt to diagnose my bluetooth has degraded terribly.
2006 Range Rover SC - couldn't get bluetooth to show up and in playing with it, the battery died.

No problem right? I jumped started it with a portable battery/starter and drover for 1/2 hour. I left a battery charger on it overnight. The next day, the radio died intermittently, the devices listed on the screen would 'gray out' as if they weren't there. Then it would come back.

After a week, it now more off than on. In fact, the only thing on the nav screen is the Land Rover logo - NOTHING works. The power LED on the power button flashes.

I want to take it to the dealership but I have to wait until after the labor day weekend.
In the meantime, I've checked everything I can think of.

I did notice that the battery never charges fully, and the battery tester show that the alternator's output is erratic. I hypothesize that the bad voltage from the alternator may have damaged the radio/nav system.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this???

I've had this thing less than a month. The dealer I bought it from (out of state) told me it had factory warranty until September but when we took it in, they said it expired in August - now I am trying to see if my 3-rd party, Non-Land Rover extended warranty will cover it.

This is my first Land Rover - and probably my last unless things get better soon,
Any ideas??

logistix

Reaction score
Check NHSTA.dot.gov website to see if there is a recall or technical service bulletin for it. Print that page out if there is one and then slap it down on the service manager's desk.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unlikely the alternator could damage anything on the RR. jump starting and/or external charging can however, because the voltage spec of the electronics can be exceeded.

We see this quite often in the older Porsches - 16 volts is the max spec but those quick chargers or boosters can belt out much more.

but until you get a proper diagnosis - it's all "spec"ulation. let us know what they find. And don't use starters/boosters on electronic-laden cars you are asking for trouble. Most 2-8 amp chargers are OK - put a voltmeter on them to be sure, or boost using another car.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd