Best roof rails and roof rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last I heard, Lucky 8 had over a year's worth of backorders on the Prospeed Rack. Maybe they got a shipment in and immediately shipped them all out to waiting customers.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ProSpeed rack: The tubing isn't rigid enough
You surprise me there! I have the PS rack and it has held fine over some 100K km, much of it with heavy loads and in tough terrain. My only complaint is, since it's welded and the parts are not moveable (which helps with durability), it is not as versatile as the Front Runner, for example - they only offer a dozen or so carriers and things, so if you need to combine a number of items on the roof, you may need a custom job or two.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like Prospeed redesigned their roof rack.

Their instagram shows the box it ships in. Looks like it comes in pieces similar to what I believe the Frontrunner rack does. Then you assemble it like an erector set.

Not sure about availability. Every image you can download of it has "render" right in the name:

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks cool, but these flat racks are so silly. You spend $1000 on one just to spend more money to bolt pieces and boxes to it so you can actually use it for storage.

The Surco safari rack on my old Jeep was the way to go, just throw bags on top and use a net to keep everyone place.

I like crossbars a lot better. Just slap the accessory you need on the bars when you need it, and off when you don’t.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason the flat racks appeal to me is that they are typically a lot lower profile. I certainly like the more traditional roof-racks, but the LR4 is a tall vehicle even when stock. The parking garage at my office is only 6'5". I just barely fit in as-is in standard height with no roof rack and 265/65/18 tires.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked the look of the old prospeed rack with the built in air deflector. This new one doesn't seem to fit as cleanly at the front.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason the flat racks appeal to me is that they are typically a lot lower profile. I certainly like the more traditional roof-racks, but the LR4 is a tall vehicle even when stock. The parking garage at my office is only 6'5". I just barely fit in as-is in standard height with no roof rack and 265/65/18 tires.

My LR4 with Yakima bars and ski racks is almost a foot lower than my almost stock D1 with Thule bars and kayak racks. I drop it into access mode out of fun even though it fits in my work garage, the D1 didn’t.

tacos&beer

Reaction score
I went with the Yakima Lock-N-Load platform on Yakima crossbars & factory rails. I like being able to take the platform off with ease when not in use - which is most the time. Will take every extra MPG I can get with this rig !

Attachments

• unnamed-4 copy.jpg
    unnamed-4 copy.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 64
  • unnamed-6.jpg
    unnamed-6.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 66

Kristina

Reaction score
Looks like Prospeed redesigned their roof rack.

Their instagram shows the box it ships in. Looks like it comes in pieces similar to what I believe the Frontrunner rack does. Then you assemble it like an erector set.

Not sure about availability. Every image you can download of it has "render" right in the name:

Interesting! I wonder what prompted the new design, as the old one was so popular?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA