best "touch-up" paint for scratch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
ive got a santori black LR3 that has a small scratch or two and a chip or two. Ive searched threads for best touch up paint but some threads were older.

is there a consenus on what product is best to use to cover up / repair the scratch? there are a couple that are probably 2-3 inches.

thanks!

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
newrover,

I would try simply buffing them out with some good wax, or perhaps a little rubbing compound. The wax will at least hide the scratches a little. For chips, etc. I use the touch up paint pens available from Atlantic British (my truck is Java Black). Otherwise, wear your scratches proudly as someone who uses their Rover for it's intended purpose!

I'm not seeing an option for Santorini Black on LR3s though...just 2011-2012 LR4s. If your black is metallic, and you have an 05-08 LR3, it's likely to be Java Black (I could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure). Here's a link to the paint pen that I use for mine: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/PP697.cfm

Hope that helps.

Paul

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ultimate Compound by Meguires is awesome. If you can feel it with your finger nail, buffing won't eliminate it.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
its been buffed and its still there. a portion is very thin...another portion is deeper. its def santorini black.

i had read on the forum about dr. color chip. ultimate compound better? ill read up on atlantic british too.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its been buffed and its still there. a portion is very thin...another portion is deeper. its def santorini black.

i had read on the forum about dr. color chip. ultimate compound better? ill read up on atlantic british too.

Not sure about Dr. Color Chip, but UC is really great.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Zaino. It's the ****. .....but really your effectiveness in removing the scratch will depend on how deep the scratch is, regardless of product.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're doing it by hand, it'll be really tough to, but possible.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
Ultimate Compound by Meguires is awesome. If you can feel it with your finger nail, buffing won't eliminate it.

im going to get some of that Ultimate Compound by Meguires next time im at walmart.

i got some rain x spray on wax and used it on a couple smaller scratches and it helped so im sure the U compound will be even better. but for the deeper scratch i may go ahead and get some touch-up paint.

seems like a silly question, but do i need the base coat, clear coat..or both? here is a link. i was thinking of getting the "pen" -

https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/place_order2.cgi

i saw another link for a kit through amazon for the 1/2 OZ pen kit. any opinions on which "kit" i should get?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=i:aps,k:land+rover+santorini+black+LR3&ajr=0

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72