Bigger replacement AGM battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't found a group size 49 compatible battery among Optima's offerings, either (then again, I haven't looked in a while.

I just looked as well and found nothing. I wish they had a yellow top option for the main battery.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got my box of traxide parts sitting here next to me. I need to start that project. Guess the first thing I need to do is find the little L brackets for the module/alarm bracket. (Anyone have a link to that part?)

I guess I will pickup a Exide Edge FP-AGML5/49 Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery for the stock batt and Optima Batteries 8012-021 D34 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery for the aux.

Only other thing I need to figure out is another plug for compressors and things in the cargo area, not using the outlets.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles did you have on your truck when the battery went?

Around 28K I think - the car was less than a year old. I could have gone for a warranty "freebie" from the dealer (battery is covered by the same warranty as the rest of the car), but decided to get a better AGM battery on my dime instead.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you put on 28k miles in less than a year? That's some serious driving!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you put on 28k miles in less than a year? That's some serious driving!

I will "hit" 2 years of ownership in 10 days...My my, how quickly time flies. I have 66K miles on my car currently 30-35K miles per year is about right for me.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will "hit" 2 years of ownership in 10 days...My my, how quickly time flies. I have 66K miles on my car currently 30-35K miles per year is about right for me.
That's amazing - I remember when you got your truck! One of the first 2013s on the forum. You have actually had great luck with no problems I believe?

My main stock battery is fine, but I wonder if it's worth it to go ahead and replace it with the AGM battery since it's a much better battery and I have a few things connected to it. I know if I end up moving to New England late next year, I will definitely given it's a lot colder than northern CA :)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My MY13 is from March, so just a bit newer than umbertob's. (but mine isn't the range rover edition LR4 like his) I have about 27k miles, mostly from big road trips. I work mostly from my home office, so she stays parked a lot of the time. I am thinking about just ordering an AGM and swapping that out at the same time I do the traxide install.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My MY13 is from March, so just a bit newer than umbertob's. (but mine isn't the range rover edition LR4 like his) I have about 27k miles, mostly from big road trips. I work mostly from my home office, so she stays parked a lot of the time. I am thinking about just ordering an AGM and swapping that out at the same time I do the traxide install.
Yeah, I think that sounds like a good idea. The AGM battery that Umberto used is pricey, but not bad at all - I would pay anything for a great battery. I am happy spending the money and switching it out and your plan sounds great. Looking forward to hearing how your Traxide install goes......

Here is a stupid question - can I just switch out the batteries and then everything is fine? There is not anything that needs to be dealer programmed - right? Sorry for a rather stupid question.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635