Bigger replacement AGM battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can safely just change it. I would leave the driver door ajar just to make sure if the computers go nutty and lock you can still get in.

From the service manual, short version.
1. hood in service position (release support struts)
2. battery cover off
3. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
4. Disconnect the battery positive cable.
5. battery clamp/bracket
6. Remove the battery.
7. Install is the reverse.

Tighten the battery clamp bolts to 5 Nm (4 lb.ft). Tighten the battery terminals to 5 Nm (4 lb.ft).

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop manual says you should reset the BMS module when replacing an older / depleted battery with a new one. Easy enough to do if you have IIDTool (reset routine is in Service / Test and takes all of 10 seconds to run), otherwise a dealer can run it for you via diagnostics - for a fee, of course.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can safely just change it. I would leave the driver door ajar just to make sure if the computers go nutty and lock you can still get in.

From the service manual, short version.
1. hood in service position (release support struts)
2. battery cover off
3. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
4. Disconnect the battery positive cable.
5. battery clamp/bracket
6. Remove the battery.
7. Install is the reverse.

Tighten the battery clamp bolts to 5 Nm (4 lb.ft). Tighten the battery terminals to 5 Nm (4 lb.ft).
Come to think of it, I remember completely undoing the battery terminals when I hooked up my off-road lights and winch and then tightened everything back up and it was fine. I did need to update the date/time, etc.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...And most likely reset the window and sunroof one-shot open/close feature (instructions in the manual.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635