Black Friday rim discounts/info! Did some research today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given the full time 4wd and traction control aids, they all have to be the exact same. That, and if you plan on doing any actual off-roading in this, you'll want a legit full-size spare, too.
I'm with [mention]ryanji [/mention] - best to have an identical 5th wheel in all regards - I've had punctures in Death Valley - and had to drive gingerly out of there to Beatty Nevada on my 5th. Can't imagine doing it on a road tire or donut. Plus you'll reduce your other tire wear 25% with rotations. Doesn't have to be the same WHEEL, but definitely the same tire on a same-SIZED wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ryanjl thank you! Sounds like I’m getting one more rim very soon! Haha I also need to read more about 4wd and the traction control aids
Best place to start. This book is used by special forces around the world as part of their 4x4 training. The author is a former British Royal Air Force pilot who has done a few hundred thousand miles solo around the world including many crossings of the Sahara. Amazing guy. This is his sort-of-annually-updated book on 4x4 mechanicals as well as how to drive properly.

https://www.exploringoverland.com/shop/four-by-four-driving-by-tom-sheppard-1

This book is the extended edition that goes into long-distance expedition packing, lashing, loading, trip planning and all that - overkill for most people but solid material for anybody getting into overlanding.

https://www.exploringoverland.com/shop/vdeg4

Both are sold by Jonathan Hanson, another amazing guy in the field of overlanding. He and his wife Roseann founded the Overland Expo and ran it for ten years.

keya

Reaction score
Best place to start. This book is used by special forces around the world as part of their 4x4 training. The author is a former British Royal Air Force pilot who has done a few hundred thousand miles solo around the world including many crossings of the Sahara. Amazing guy. This is his sort-of-annually-updated book on 4x4 mechanicals as well as how to drive properly.

https://www.exploringoverland.com/shop/four-by-four-driving-by-tom-sheppard-1

This book is the extended edition that goes into long-distance expedition packing, lashing, loading, trip planning and all that - overkill for most people but solid material for anybody getting into overlanding.

https://www.exploringoverland.com/shop/vdeg4

Both are sold by Jonathan Hanson, another amazing guy in the field of overlanding. He and his wife Roseann founded the Overland Expo and ran it for ten years.

Awesome! Thanks, I have a lot of homework to do... Added to my to-do-list! :-D

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with all the comments re having exact same-size/brand tire as a spare. The LR4's 4WD system
needs this to work correctly. Here in Oz it would be illegal to run a different sized tire - fines apply &
insurance would be voided if any claim was lodged. Here it would be viewed as having a "temporary use
only" spare, with speed & distance restrictions applying.
As I've said before, the LR4 is the best all-round vehicle ever built. It's virtually irreplaceable now in terms
of style, comfort, space, capability etc. Do not compromise with anything you put on your vehicle as you'll
cheapen it. The price difference between Compo's & the next best option is nothing compared to the value of the vehicle. Compo's are much lighter than any of the steelies & look vastly better. Their U.S.A. price is
comparable to the Aussie price. I went with BFG KO2's in 265/60-18 to keep as close as possible to OE specs. The slightly lower sidewall, if compared to 265/65's, has made no difference to my tough offroading capability & require no spacers or modifications at all. The five tire rotation is an important fact too, as you'll save so much with longer tire life.

keya

Reaction score
I agree with all the comments re having exact same-size/brand tire as a spare. The LR4's 4WD system
needs this to work correctly. Here in Oz it would be illegal to run a different sized tire - fines apply &
insurance would be voided if any claim was lodged. Here it would be viewed as having a "temporary use
only" spare, with speed & distance restrictions applying.
As I've said before, the LR4 is the best all-round vehicle ever built. It's virtually irreplaceable now in terms
of style, comfort, space, capability etc. Do not compromise with anything you put on your vehicle as you'll
cheapen it. The price difference between Compo's & the next best option is nothing compared to the value of the vehicle. Compo's are much lighter than any of the steelies & look vastly better. Their U.S.A. price is
comparable to the Aussie price. I went with BFG KO2's in 265/60-18 to keep as close as possible to OE specs. The slightly lower sidewall, if compared to 265/65's, has made no difference to my tough offroading capability & require no spacers or modifications at all. The five tire rotation is an important fact too, as you'll save so much with longer tire life.
Thanks for your comments! Mine is a high mileage so I’m trying to balance accessorizing vs. future expense on the Drive train.
I ordered EVO rims with Cooper S/T Maxx tires. I’ll report back once installed.
It will take sometime to get everything delivered and installed.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On checking the Evo Corse website I see that their D4 wheel has a different offset to the Compomotives.
I don't know the implications with that - possible rubbing??
I've never seen a D4 with EVO 18"'s here in Oz. My Compo's with 265/60X18 have no rubbing issues.

keya

Reaction score
On checking the Evo Corse website I see that their D4 wheel has a different offset to the Compomotives.
I don't know the implications with that - possible rubbing??
I've never seen a D4 with EVO 18"'s here in Oz. My Compo's with 265/60X18 have no rubbing issues.

I’m not certain about the offset. When i asked the vendor here in the US, they told me that it fits LR4 without spacers. I’ll see if i can check that somewhere again. Thanks!

keya

Reaction score
I'm with [mention]ryanji [/mention] - best to have an identical 5th wheel in all regards - I've had punctures in Death Valley - and had to drive gingerly out of there to Beatty Nevada on my 5th. Can't imagine doing it on a road tire or donut. Plus you'll reduce your other tire wear 25% with rotations. Doesn't have to be the same WHEEL, but definitely the same tire on a same-SIZED wheel.

point taken! Ordered the 5th wheel/tire last week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut