Blown Head gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CraftyB

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a head gasket issue. It appears as if my gaskets are blown and the local Land Rover/Jaguar dealer won't touch it, they informed me I would need to replace the engine. Does anyone have a resource for this issue? I can have the engine removed and shipped to anywhere within reason. I would like to explore all options before I plunk down $7,600 for a used engine. My Rover is a 2011 LR4 HSE btw.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you overheat due to a crossover pipe failing?

I don't recall seeing a blown head gasket on the forums here without overheating.

CraftyB

Reaction score
But we believe it was due to someone not properly bleeding the coolant tank when it was replaced.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unlikely. either way warped heads my mean the whole engine. Fo

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone knows the reason that blown headgaskets/warped heads = new engine on these cars? I’ve heard it said over and over on these forums, but the only explanation that I’ve actually seen is that shops were seeing stripped head bolts after replacing heads and so they stopped wanting to repair the heads (customers would come back later and blame them for shoddy work). That doesn’t seem like a good enough reason to me - simply explain the risks to the customer and refuse to warranty the work.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you can redeck the block and you may be able to flatten the heads but by the time you get there you are close to a used engine? No idea? Perhaps rare enough no one has gotten comfortable with the process? Outside of N/A the gasoline engines are probably a small % of total sales?

AGLR4

Reaction score
I purchased a 2011 LR4 last year with a headgasket failure. I traced it back to a stripped headbolt in the block. No evidence of overheat in the past. Engine was still running, just burning coolant. I did all the work myself in my home garage and I'm not a mechanic by trade. It was a lot of work, but worth it. I think the key is that the block needs to have steel inserts placed for the head bolt threads otherwise the aluminum just will not hold for the long term. I'll post a link to my rebuild thread next.

AGLR4

Reaction score

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I followed that thread for a little while, but lost track. Looks like worked out - a lot of work, but nice job.

But for a professional mechanic, it seems like replacing heads should be cheaper than replacing a motor - by a lot. But maybe its just that mechanic rates have become so high that that the price of a new (used) motor is now actually cheaper by comparison (is it less “book” hours to replace an engine that to replace the heads)? With some shops apparently charging $6K-10K for a timing chain, maybe that’s where we’re at.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick