Body Armor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saw this in another forum... anyone ever seen this before? Pretty odd if you ask me.... but i thought id share it. :stupid:

http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/drzjoint/?action=view&current=IMG_4132.jpg

and from this forum: http://landroverforums.com/m_58560/tm.htm

That is pretty crazy. I guess it would work but I would think that if your truck wasn't 100% clean before you put it on that it could do much more damage than a little bush would (unless you are driving straight through the woods with no trails). Also seems like it could be a pain in the @ss to install and transport. Interesting idea though.

Trevor

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that this would be a better option.http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/
It is probably pretty expensive to do both sides and the front of the truck but it is permanent and it does work. I had a truck that had this on it behind the rear tires on the fender edge and you would see nicks in it from rocks getting kicked up but the finish never got tore up.

Trevor

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is my body armor. I looked at dooing the clear. but it would be extremly expensive to cover that much area. Yes the vehicle has to be clean before you put it on but that is not to hard to wash a vehicle. It works awsome I love it. It lets me take the line I want w/o worring about tearing up the side of the rig. I saw that they made it for Jeeps and the new FJ as well as the H2. So I ordered a roll of magnetic vinyl and made it up myself. took a bit of time, but I can put it all on and tape it up in about an hour the longest part it taping down the edges so a stick dose not rip it off it also alows you to run 90 on the freeway. My road test was I put it on it rained that night and drove the next dayabout 50 miles on the freeway 75-90mph then ran a trail all day and came back. It comes off quick and holds up awsome.
now that I have templates It would be easy to make but the vinyl would be heavy to ship.
The roll is 3' wide I think I used a 150' roll but I would have to measue it up for sure. To make templates I used 4' wide paper roll. Like you would use to tape off a car to paint. It went slower than I thought. now I could knock it out in an evening just trace out.

Last edited:

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess it would be worth it it you're going through the brush alot and you dont want the battle scars.

although the looks of the frog tape would prob deter me from actually using this method, haha.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is my body armor. I looked at dooing the clear. but it would be extremly expensive to cover that much area. Yes the vehicle has to be clean before you put it on but that is not to hard to wash a vehicle. It works awsome I love it. It lets me take the line I want w/o worring about tearing up the side of the rig. I saw that they made it for Jeeps and the new FJ as well as the H2. So I ordered a roll of magnetic vinyl and made it up myself. took a bit of time, but I can put it all on and tape it up in about an hour the longest part it taping down the edges so a stick dose not rip it off it also alows you to run 90 on the freeway. My road test was I put it on it rained that night and drove the next dayabout 50 miles on the freeway 75-90mph then ran a trail all day and came back. It comes off quick and holds up awsome.
now that I have templates It would be easy to make but the vinyl would be heavy to ship.
The roll is 3' wide I think I used a 150' roll but I would have to measue it up for sure. To make templates I used 4' wide paper roll. Like you would use to tape off a car to paint. It went slower than I thought. now I could knock it out in an evening just trace out.

If it stays on at 90 MPH then it must be attached well. Have you used it many times and does it seems to work pretty well? Did you look into what the clear would cost and if so how much?

Trevor

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is I think over 300 bucks just to do the lights and bumper with the clear stuff
I think I had a little over 100 bucks in vinyl. The tape keeps air from getting under it and lifting it off. I just use 3m painters masking tape. I am In the process or G4 badging the vinyl.

trevorrigiron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have it on your lights. I have thought about that since my Range Rover (Got rid of it when Tata bought LR, was scared it wouldn't be worth anything after that. Turns out they are probably better off than with Ford. Who knew.) was only two weeks old and a rock came off some jack@sses trailer (It ****** me off that these guys around here don't sweep there trailers off) and went through my headlight but I don't know with those HID lights if it would get two hot and melt the tape or burnout the bulb.

Trevor

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
certainly not the most attractive accessory I've seen. I would rather have my truck repainted. to each their own.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trevor,

a quick mention.. HID/Xenon lights actually run cooler then the halogens... and use significantly less power too...

ok so maybe i just learned this stuff when i was researching the subject and felt the need to act like i know what im saying.. haha

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49