Boot height Q (sleeping inside)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my LR4 is in the garage and I need to figure out exactly how tall is the cargo area from floor to the panoramic roof. Is is 42"? And what height are the window sills? Has anyone tried sleeping on top of their drawer unit, especially with a partner, and how was that? Not getting too claustrophobic? FYI, I currently have a rooftop tent and Front Runner drawers. But I'm toying with the idea of ditching the tent (to save weight) and installing a different unit, with two drawers stacked vertically next to the fridge. However, my "bed" would then be at least 20" up from the floor, probably more. So I wonder if it's a plan at all, especially that I'm thinking looong trips (months, not weeks). Bad idea?

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just completed (well, back in July) a trip where we slept on top of drawers and I added platform to the back of the front seats. For reference, the platform is the height of the lower part of the tailgate. I found it cramped (5’10”) but doable. Prefer the rooftop for sure. Hope that helps.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds cramped and compromised. Sell the LR4 and build one of these.

Attachments

• unimog.jpg
    unimog.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 45

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, but no, thank you! I'm keeping my baby for life! My recently deceased:( guru Gunther Holtorf (link below) used to say, the more inconspicuous the car, the better. And he praised mine for its blend-in colour:). A unimog is hard to ship in a container and it guzzles on gas. I can do with the RTT, I'm just wondering whether I could do better.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @mmbertcher! How many inches less could you have for it to still make sense, you think?

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s more height than my pickup was with a camper shell, and that was doable on a platform. A couple of long weekends a year? Sure. But I wouldn’t want to live out of anything smaller than a four wheel camper type of deal.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frontrunner drawers with custom platform cabinets (2nd row seats out, only 4 bolts per seat to remove). I keep my 50qt ARB fridge in the middle of 2nd row all the time. Exped megamat duo is perfect fit and really comfy. Even better than any of the 4" thick thermarest and other expensive pads I have.

Plenty of head room IMO. Biggest issue sleeping two people would probably just be moving around to get in and out, but would be doable. I just love spreading out in it. I am 6'2" and I don't really even move the front seats forward at all.

IMG_3305-X3.jpg

IMG_3309-X3.jpg

IMG_3316-X3.jpg

IMG_3315-X3.jpg

IMG_2123_HEIC-X3.jpg

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frontrunner drawers with custom platform cabinets (2nd row seats out, only 4 bolts per seat to remove). I keep my 50qt ARB fridge in the middle of 2nd row all the time. Exped megamat duo is perfect fit and really comfy. Even better than any of the 4" thick thermarest and other expensive pads I have.

Plenty of head room IMO. Biggest issue sleeping two people would probably just be moving around to get in and out, but would be doable. I just love spreading out in it. I am 6'2" and I don't really even move the front seats forward at all.

View attachment 20848
View attachment 20849
View attachment 20850
View attachment 20851
View attachment 20852
You're my hero

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA