Brake Master Cylinder or Modulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamieb

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2002 Disco II with about 157K on the dial. I have the Holy Trinity of lights on the dash. I should mention this is my wife's Disco from before we were married and I rarely drive it, I only work on it. I've already replaced the radiator and hoses a couple months back and last year the valve cover gaskets.

Anyway, the lights have been on a year or more. I read about the modulator kit that could be one reason, but today I drove it and at the stop light the pedal slowly went to the floor. Driving it the brakes worked, but were spongy - especially long slow pushes versus pumping it.

Question: we have a Rover mechanic friend, but should I tell him we think it's the Master Cylinder or the Modulator Shuttle Valve issue or both?

Are there symptoms that can point to one versus the other?

Thank you!
Jamie

houstonrover09

Reaction score
Are you looking to take care of the lights or the spongy brake pedal? An ABS code reader might be able to help you diagnose the tres amigos problems. I just had to replace a bad wheel bearing that was just bad enough to cause the amigos but not really notice much while driving. The modulator fix isn't that hard, but probably worth checking out due to the mileage. The spongy brake pedal could be air in the lines, or possibly a bad master cylinder. When were your brake lines changed? Should have been part of the 105k maintenance.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know why they call the dash warning lights."IDIOT" lights.
You can safely say you have fallen into that group of people who will drive a vehicle right into the ground and or **** some one.
When was the last time you actually had a major service done, something more then an oil change, which should be done every 30,000 miles?
Have your mechanic read all the fault code numbers and get back to us with the numbers only so we can help you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9