Brake pad fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time owner who got a little too lackadaisical with the brakes. Wife mentioned something felt different with brakes. Shine a flashlight in and see outer pad is thin 2-3mm but ok. Go the extra mile and pop the wheel off and both pads are thin but OK and it will need new pads. Passenger side outer looked the same while the inner was just starting to wear the contact plate (ie. no friction material left). Some slight grooving on rotor but they will be tossed next time anyhow (lots of thickness). New pads in, re-lubed and good to go. No vibrations.

Moral of story. Check your pads regardless if your pad warning has tripped or not. Last set of pads only lasted 25k kms (16k miles & 3 years) so it can happen quick. Pads coming off were the Brembo ceramics and going on were Brembo metallic. The new pads were messy already sitting in the box! Made in UK too so not sure who the real manufacturer is, they do have the outer weight.. These will be stock messy but they have good feel.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would second that.
During winter had some brake noise which then went away. Sounded like sticking pad. Weather too crappy to investigate until spring when it had progressed to metal on metal grinding :(
Turns out one of the lubed slider pins on one of front calipers had siezed resulting in the inner pad receiving uneven braking pressure. Result was it wore unevenly and scored the rotor. Outer pad and rotor looked fine. Also, occurred on side without wear sensor, so no warning light. Replaced pins on both sides as a precaution and will re-lube when doing pads in future.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I agree... I rotate my tires a lot and it takes 2 seconds to look at the pad thickness. But then again, I also shorted my pad warning sensors. Both were worn out from being old and I didn't feel like replacing them. They're probably one of the less inexpensive things on the maintenance list, but eh... Pointless feature that doesn't actually warn you unless it's too late.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okamgba1463