Brakes and warning light on a 03

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jumper5836

Reaction score
The warning light came on. The LR dealer is trying to tell my wife that the brakes need to be changed.
Now I don't mind changing them if its required but they also said its both front and back brakes, Seems kinda funny to me. I never had front and rear brakes wear the same. Maybe I am wrong.
Also doesn't the brakes start to squel when they are needed to be replaced.
They did this with my 01 discovery.
Also they want $40 to change the computer warning light for the front and another for the rear. Seems to me they should do this for free.
All in all they want to change all the brakes for about $800. I honestly think they are trying to rip us off. Shoudn't they show us the computer sensor reading from the computer printout. I make sure both rear and front are going off and I am reluctant to pay them for the reseting warning sensors since I can wait until the brakes start to squel. Anyways the sensors are way off becuase the brakes still have awhile to go yet before they need changing.

D

discomike

I would suggest you go to another shop and get some more feed back. Not knowing what Rover you have, you may have sensor wires on the pads and when the pads are changed the lights will automaticly reset.
Make sure you use factory pads and rotors if needed, no aftermarket stuff, have the brakes bled completely and you will be set.
If you want to say some money, do the brakes yourself, they are pretty easy and you will save a bunch of $$$,
Mike J.

ruffinit

Reaction score
ummm...i'm a little skeptical...i know you have the newer version. I dont think the brakes should be going out soo soon. I also dont think that it should be 800 to do such an early job on the brakes! And! if they do they should be covered under the maintenance because somethiing is wrong, and thats not normal wear and tear. i would beware and definitely get a 2nd opinion from another shop. good luck, keep us posted!

D

discomike

Brake wear is not covered under the factory maintance program. this is just a greedy dealer trying to get someone, it is really too bad they try to do this to their customers.
Mike J.

jumper5836

Reaction score
I have about 65k km and I think the front brakes do wear faster. Ever notice how much brake dust you get on the front but very little on the rear. This is becuase the front brakes have more percentage of braking power compared to the rear. Thats why I am skeptical of the rears needing to be changed.
I am going to wait until the front start to squel before I do them. The rears I am not going to touch but I will have a second shop give me an opinion and get them done there.

D

discomike

Don't wait till they squeal or you will be buying rotors also, and there is a way around brake dust build up.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72