Braking at very low speed and it feels like something is hitting you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bellhouse

Reaction score
I've recently bought my first Range Rover L322 Westminster 2008 with the 4.2 Supercharged petrol engine. I bought it quite cheep and I knew I had to do some things myself to get the car to it's former glory.

The first thing I've noticed is that when I'm driving very slow and braking to a stop (stand still) it feels like you get a punch from the rear axel, like something is a bit loose. It's really hard to explain in words.

can it be the brakes? The rear axel?

I've bought new brake pads but not got it delivered yet.

English is not my native language so have that in mind reading this.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Is the spare tire loose? It could be the active suspension as well. Do you hear knocking going over bumps? if is, it could be bushings.

Bellhouse

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Is the spare tire loose? It could be the active suspension as well. Do you hear knocking going over bumps? if is, it could be bushings.
Thank you!
The spare tire is in place and tightend up. No knocking over bumps. How can I check the active suspension?

It feels like the rear axel (or something in the back) is a bit loose.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it feels like something in the back I would put it on a lift and check the rear bushings for all control arms and sway bars. The active Suspension is the hydraulic sway bars is so equipped. Check to make sure the system is full of fluid and no leaks. I looked at a 2009 RRSSC that was leaking bad. This can be expensive. If just bushings, it is a much easier/less expensive option.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72